LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tunercat files

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys! I have tunercat and all the stuff needed to do the work. The problem I have is not with my car, but with my brothers 94 Z28. We had a tune in his car but had a little problem and the tune got lost. He has pacesetter mids, CAI, Lt4 KM, adj fuel pressure reg, shift kit, and 3.42 gears. Do to the gears the trans is all F***** Up! Since I have a M6 I dont know what to do with the trans tables and I dont have time to try and get the HP out of it that the other tune made.

Here is the file.https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=77794

Any help would be great!
Old 11-20-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
where can you get the Datamaster
www.ttspowersystems.com
Old 11-20-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, thanks for all the input and info guys.
Driving to work this morning (or more to the point, opening the gates at work) I found out why the car sputtered yesterday. As i'm opening the gates at work, I can hear a 'hissing' noise coming from the car, so I pull into the car park and pop the hood. And there, hanging loose and hissing at me, was one of the vacuum hoses from the intake.

My interface cable arrived today, so hopefully, if I have time, i'll hook it up in the morning for the 8-9 mile drive to work and log what's going on in there. I'm hoping my money arrives from England by the end of the month, then I can register Tunercat and buy the def file.
I downloaded Datamaster last night, but for tomorrow i'll use Freescan as that is already installed on the laptop.

Sweetred95ta I downloaded some of those files from Frankers site last night, I haven't tried them yet, but I do know you have to delete the ".zip" off the end of the filename then they are supposed to be valid .LT1 files.
infinitebird thanks for the link, i'll check it out tonight.

Sara Lou
Old 11-20-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zralou
nd there, hanging loose and hissing at me, was one of the vacuum hoses
SHOOT IT! QUICK!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^^^
I have a 93, pm'd you with my e-mail.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Formula350
SHOOT IT! QUICK!
Naw, that would be cruel. I caught it and released it into the wild!!! .

I hooked up the laptop and the ALDL cable to the car this morning hoping to log some data on the drive to work, but I couldn't get any communication between the pc and PCM.
So i'm going to have to trace the problem tomorrow while i'm off work, looks like it could be either the cigarette lighter socket, or the COM port, i'll find out in the morning.

Sara Lou
Old 11-25-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well i've been playing around with the laptop for the past couple of days trying to get it to work with the car.

The "Freescan" software won't communicate with the PCM, neither will "EFILive". I managed to get "Datamaster" to work fine, but "Freescan" reads the PCM header but nothing else, and "EFILive" does nothing. So all info is gained using "Datamaster".

My biggest problem (and what caused me to start tuning) is the overheating of the car. Under normal driving, its fine, but in 'P' or in heavy traffic, the gauge goes right into the 'red' zone and the fans don't kick in. I tried the "jump the ALDL" trick and the fans kick in, so I know the relays, PCM, and fuses are fine (the A/C doesn't work, so I can't try that test).
This week I replaced the PCM temp sensor and radiator cap, but no difference. I also got the heater working (hasn't worked since I bought the car, 18 months), the problem was the heater hoses were clogged.

Back to the PCM, I sat logging until the temp gauge went into the red (260*) but according to Datamaster the PCM was seeing 171*. Now I know the gauges can be off, but 90* seems unlikely especially as normal driving the gauge reads where it should.
I'm guessing either hoses clogged or airlocked (I did bleed the system after replacing the temp sensor, I also got a good steady stream of coolant from the temp sensor hole after removing it).
I watched the coolant flow in the radiator till I saw it increase (showing the thermostat was opening). One thing i've noticed happening a lot is the overflow bottle filling to the top, but this i've put down to overfilling the radiator?.

My guesses are:
Clogged hoses
Airlocked
Bad thermostat

Any advice or input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sara Lou
Old 11-25-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ohh, and I forgot to add, the DTC I got was code 44, left bank lean, which i'm guessing was caused by the vacuum hose coming off. I reset it with Datamaster and it hasn't come back.

Sara Lou
Old 11-25-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd say it's the gauge heh, not off, just not working right.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd say it's the gauge heh, not off, just not working right.
I drove it around the block then let it idle for 10-15 minutes, surely it would be higher than 170*?. As far as i'm aware its stock setup, 180* thermostat, fan kick on 225/235*. Based on that therory, the thermostat wouldn't have opened by the time I turned the car off because the gauge was in the red. Outside temp was 75* at the time.

Sara Lou
Old 11-26-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Back to the original post, i'm worried about paying for Tunercat now. Freescan and EFILive won't work. EFILive does nothing, and Freescan reads the PCM header but nothing else (just keeps looping on the PCM header).
Is it possible using Tunercat, to download a copy of my PCM file without the $EE def file? so I can try Tunercat to make sure it will communicate with the car.

Sara Lou
Old 11-27-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I decided to test the gauge today, I let it idle till the gauge was well into the red zone, the PCM was reading 182*, the gauge 265*, and the car was overheating and boiling over. So I would say the gauge is closer to the right temp than what the PCM is?.

Anyone any ideas why the PCM won't see the overheating?.

Sara Lou
Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

PCM reads a different sensor, and that sensor could be bad, and thus no fans.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Launching!

This is correct. The PCM reads the sensor in the water pump and the gauge is getting it's information from the sensor in the driver's side head.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didnt feel like reading all the posts but if it hasnt been addressed, tunes dont get lost. Even when you pull the battery or disconnect it, the iac will have to relearn again but the tune it self will still be stored.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zralou

My biggest problem (and what caused me to start tuning) is the overheating of the car. Under normal driving, its fine, but in 'P' or in heavy traffic, the gauge goes right into the 'red' zone and the fans don't kick in. I tried the "jump the ALDL" trick and the fans kick in, so I know the relays, PCM, and fuses are fine (the A/C doesn't work, so I can't try that test).
This week I replaced the PCM temp sensor and radiator cap, but no difference. I also got the heater working (hasn't worked since I bought the car, 18 months), the problem was the heater hoses were clogged.

Thanks
Sara Lou
Sara Lou
Old 11-28-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MEAN LT1
Didnt feel like reading all the posts but if it hasnt been addressed, tunes dont get lost. Even when you pull the battery or disconnect it, the iac will have to relearn again but the tune it self will still be stored.
You really should read all the posts, I haven't got a tune to loose yet!!!.

Sara Lou
Old 11-28-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, your waterpump is dead then, I don't know. Just telling you why the PCM is reading different temps than the gauge

Quick Reply: Tunercat files