LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lifting motor for header install

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifting motor for header install

i'm currently working on getting my stock exhaust manifolds out so i can do my headers, and well the driver side manifold won't come up without removing the steering knuckle or possibly just lifting the motor a bit... is there a good spot to place the jack when lifting the motor? I'm not sure if a block of wood on the oilpan is the best idea .. ( if lifting the motor is a bad idea, any suggestions on removing or moving that steering knuckle? i need about an inch of clearance to get the manifold out)

Also, the bolts on the mount are kind of hard to see .. are there 3 bolts connecting it to the kmember? .. and i would just need to unbolt those and jack it up a bit?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

See that plastic stuff at the bottom of the steering shaft? Remove that and there will be one bolt that should be easy to get off. Just swing the steering out of the way and the header will slide right up. Make sure to not move the steering wheel while it's disconnected
Old 11-22-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pull the steering shaft off. You will need it off to install the headers anyways. What kind of headers are they? If they are Hooker long tubes, I can tell you exactly how to get each side in, to save you some headache. Other brands maybe different.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Pacesetters in his sig, I just saw that. All you have to do for those is what I said, disconnect one bolt and swing it out of the way, it's simple
Old 11-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Teching In

yeah it was on there pretty good .. had to hammer it a bit to get it off. thanks

Quick Reply: lifting motor for header install