LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Locking header bolts

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately it sounds like the bolt went in with the header loose, and that is probably the way it is going to have to come out or go back in.

I use Stage 8 bolts - locks - clips on my car (with SLP single cat headers) and Earls gaskets. They work great. On a couple of the locks, I had to shave it a little with the bench grinder to make them thinner to fit the tube - hole gap. No big deal. But, for your situation, you are probably looking at either cutting the bolt or pulling the header loose.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Unfortunately it sounds like the bolt went in with the header loose, and that is probably the way it is going to have to come out or go back in.

I use Stage 8 bolts - locks - clips on my car (with SLP single cat headers) and Earls gaskets. They work great. On a couple of the locks, I had to shave it a little with the bench grinder to make them thinner to fit the tube - hole gap. No big deal. But, for your situation, you are probably looking at either cutting the bolt or pulling the header loose.

Ok I think you might be right, god thats gonna suck now. Im just gonna tough it out and loosen the bolts.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well after duking it out with my car, and loosening all of the bolts, I still had no luck with getting the back one started. I honestly think the threads got damaged on the attempted removal of the 1" bolt, when it backed out and hit the header tube and spun in one spot for a bit.

I am gonna just tough it out for a bit until I can get my long tubes. It cant run any worse than it has been with the already leaking gasket.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CptMidway
I read a review on these years ago, seems like a great idea!
Old 11-28-2006, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CptMidway
I have them on my Z and have no problems. As long as you take the allen out before you take the bolt out you will be in good shape.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

I cant believe you have trouble with loosening.I just used 1" long 12pt 5/16" head ARP stainless steel bolts. I remembered to retighten them after every drive when I put my headers on, and I havent had a problem with them loosening yet..
Old 11-28-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by buffman
I cant believe you have trouble with loosening.I just used 1" long 12pt 5/16" head ARP stainless steel bolts. I remembered to retighten them after every drive when I put my headers on, and I havent had a problem with them loosening yet..
Yeah I cant believe it either. I am not having fun with header gaskets now days.

I locktighted my 1" bolts (accept for the back one that I think has a stripped hole now)

I am just gonna tuff it out till after christmas. I wonder how long this gasket is going to last now with one bolt out.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

I kept having bolts back out when I first installed my long tubes. I have the summit copper gaskets. Ended up loosing a few bolts, actually. Never had to replace these gaskets, though. They have held up very well. Any luck with the bolts now?
Old 01-21-2007, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Dont waste time or money on bolts with clips. Split-loc bolts from Summit. I use them and never had to retighten them from the first day I put headers in until I took my motor out. I also use Fel-pro gaskets from summit. Not a single loose bolt or exhaust leak.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Hey, lt1 headers gaskets are a bitch to deal I guess we all agree on that. I agree with putting longer bolts, it seems to help BUT if you need to change your gasket every once in a while then you'll have the problem that I'm having right now:
With longer bolts, if you miss with them in and out to replace a gasket very often, you'll simply ruin the thread because this is NOT the bolt that is supposed to be used. However, to solve this you gotta go with the best gasket out there to avoid ******* with the bolts every once in a while. Right now I'm having that issue and looking for the best gasket out there. A good gasket - Longer bolts - blue **** and stage 8 and I guarantee ya, you won't touch them for a good while.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate them! I hate them! I hate them!

It is not too bad, but it pushes me to wits end sometimes. I know how to tighten them especially with my set of headers. The last outermost bolt is still has stripped threads. I said to hell with it untill I get my 383 built. It is not worth pulling the head right now while im in school. Yeah the car runs like crap because of the leak, but what can I do?

It was just in the design of the header, to loosen outermost bolts last. I did not do this and payed with stripped threads.

I am just looking for a good seal. I have had leaks on and off. It is a part of using headers I think. OBTW Stage 8 will not go back on the car(at least on passenger side). How the hell do you guys work with those? Getting them back off is a real pain.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess I've been lucky, just used the bolts that came with my bbk shorties, I have only lost one bolt and shame on me it was probably the easiest one to retighten.

I know what your saying, worse performance, and you have to ride around sounding like you have a moped strapped to your engine. I think I hate the sound of a leaky header worse than how it runs, drives you nuts.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Guess I've been lucky, just used the bolts that came with my bbk shorties, I have only lost one bolt and shame on me it was probably the easiest one to retighten.

I know what your saying, worse performance, and you have to ride around sounding like you have a moped strapped to your engine. I think I hate the sound of a leaky header worse than how it runs, drives you nuts.

Yeah it makes me feel ghetto
Old 01-22-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

hehe... bad enough just knowing and feeling that your lagging a bit... but tops it off to have it broadcast to everyone within earshot that somethings not right.

Although, will be just that much sweeter when its straight!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

I guess im the only person that uses these bolts and Felpro gaskets and never had a single leak or a bolt come loose.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I might have a leak starting right now. I keep checking the bolts but they are tight. I used the felpros so... I will pull them out tomorrow and look for signs of leaking. I like the idea of these bolts since you should NEVER have to recheck them (assuming they are that good). Gasket wise... I've had felpros leak before (cause of bolts loosening) and if they are going again, I might try the copper ones and will probably get these bolts as well.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hyperzone
I think I might have a leak starting right now. I keep checking the bolts but they are tight. I used the felpros so... I will pull them out tomorrow and look for signs of leaking. I like the idea of these bolts since you should NEVER have to recheck them (assuming they are that good). Gasket wise... I've had felpros leak before (cause of bolts loosening) and if they are going again, I might try the copper ones and will probably get these bolts as well.
I honestly dont think the metal gaskets are all they are cracked up to be. It seems that some guys are using metal gaskets with sealer. I have not had much luck with aluminum crush gaskets on my car. Try a MR. Gasket one It seemed they are thicker than the Felpro.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man my headers are always leaking i got some metal gaskets (i think) they are felpros' anyways hooker longtubes what do u guys suggest
Old 01-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

I went with 1" bresslin bolts and felpros gaskets. No leaks as of yet. It's only been two weeks since I got the LT's on but everything seems to be running goods so far. Bresslin bolts are a good buy in my opinion. Although they are a PITA to install but well worth it IMO.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry, dumb question... 1" bolts will thread entirely into the heads with no issues right? I think I tried one once but, it wouldn't thread in all the way and I just ditched them and stuck with the originals.

Quick Reply: Locking header bolts