LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default y pipe

i was looking at hooker headers, and the hooker y pipe, just wonder about how the cats are, can you order speacial high flowones with 02 sensors(i thought the 02 sensors were on the converter right?) i have the slp loudmouth 2 catback, and i heard without cats it gets really raspy, i think i would want a nice sound. and not overly annoying/ loud. im just wondering what i should do and where can i get like highflow cats, and i would need 2 right? cause my car is a 96 with 2 of them stock.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, you will want cats so that loudmouth doesn't rasp badly. You will need to get two small cats to fit on the y-pipe. Here is my setup, http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...Catback001.jpg Not a very good picture to illustrate but I have a cat on each side of the y-pipe. I got the smallest pair of Random Technology cats they have (the universal ones).

The o2 sensors are not in the cats. They are in the headers before the cats, and another pair after the cats.

Another picture: http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...Catback010.jpg
Passenger side cat is lil after the header, and you can see the drivers side one.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

so you just had to cut the y pipe and weld them in? i read the headers i wanted have to eger and 02 bungs, but the y pipe doesn't so what will i need to order so those back 4 will hook up?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, you have a EGR hook up on the pass side header, and AIR hookup on each header. On each header collector, you have a threaded hole for the o2 sensor. After the catalytic converter is another pair of o2's. Someone here with OBDII needs to come in cause I don't know what it physically looks like for the rear o2s (I'm OBDI).

Yes, you cut out a slot in the y-pipe and weld in the cats.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm confusing myself cause I don't have OBDII and I'm trying to get a mental picture of what it would look like. Since the rear o2's are right after the cats, they will be deleted with the ORY. Then you have to get o2 simulators for the back two. That should be right..