LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Pistons and rods going in...Need help fast!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LT1 Pistons and rods going in...Need help fast!!!

Starting to put LT1 pistons and rods in and I have a vital question regarding the orientation of the rods.

I have noticed that the two side surfaces down on the big end are different, one side has more thrust area tha the other. Obviously ether the two larger surfaces or the two smaller surfaces of the two rods face each other.

I had things like this well marked on my OEM rods but I dont have them here in the garage. The rods I have now are the Scat forged.

Can someone steer me in the right direction on what surfaces of the rods face each other.

Here is a photo of my #1 rod installed, is this right or wrong?

Old 02-17-2007, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOoks to me set up like that it will eat the side of the rod as the crank turns.

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Starting to put LT1 pistons and rods in and I have a vital question regarding the orientation of the rods.

I have noticed that the two side surfaces down on the big end are different, one side has more thrust area tha the other. Obviously ether the two larger surfaces or the two smaller surfaces of the two rods face each other.

I had things like this well marked on my OEM rods but I dont have them here in the garage. The rods I have now are the Scat forged.

Can someone steer me in the right direction on what surfaces of the rods face each other.

Here is a photo of my #1 rod installed, is this right or wrong?

Old 02-17-2007, 06:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe #1 is correct. The stocker will only go on the right way. Do you pistons have valve reliefs? If so, that is another thing that would keep you from putting them on wrong. That is unless of course someone put the pistons on the rods backwards.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah the Mahle forged .030" pistons have valve reliefs. 5CC I think, but I might be wrong. The rods are Scat forged.

I called the machinist and was told I am on the right track afterall.

Quick Reply: LT1 Pistons and rods going in...Need help fast!!!