LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ignition problems??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition problems??

My car has been acting up alot recently and I didn't know if maybe someone has had the same problem before and what advice i could get...i've had a oil leak for the last few weeks coming from somewhere on the front of the engine (i figured the front main or maybe the intake manifold and its running down and dripping from the front) It's a pretty good little flow, probably a 4 inch diameter puddle by the time it gets done spitting some out so its def not a couple drips. Well, a couple weeks ago the car started having problems when hitting potholes or bumps in the road. Whenever it'd hit the bump it would sputter real bad like all the cylinders werent kickin in. In normal driving it was fine. It finally got to the point that whenever i started it and didn't let it warm up for 10+ minutes it would do the same sputtering thing no matter what. I figured a couple of the plug wires might be loose in the opti cuz of all the oil, and pushing them in harder worked temporarily, but then it started all over. So this weekend I replaced the opti, water pump, plug wires and cleaned the engine to help try to figure out exactly where the damn leak is coming from. It seemed to be workin fine, other than the fact i really got on it one time and it kinda sputtered at high rpms, but now whenever i'm sitting at idle on a hill it wants to die on me. If im on level surface its fine and during normal driving its fine. I eventually have to let it roll down the hill to start it. My initial thought was fuel pump because its been slow starting for a long time now, and figured now its about completely shot and the angle of the flow may be too much. But I went and got the computer scanned though after the light came on, when i did that and it said ignition system and control (which to me means alot of different things). I know that was a novel of stuff but I tried not to leave much out. Does anyone know what might be going on and why its only acting up when sitting uphill? I just have a hard time grasping it being something ignition just because of the way its sitting...that seems more like a fuel problem to me...but i'm no expert. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-21-2007, 05:59 AM
On The Tree

I would check the fuel pressure. Then try replacing the ICM and coil. Did you check the plugs while you were doing the wires?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Teching In

I replaced the plugs about 10,000 miles ago and assumed they'd still be good...of course thats assuming...
Old 02-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Today it also did the same thing when it was leaning downhill...Also, whenever i let it sit and idle for a few minutes it does fine...just some info that may help. I appreciate any commments or suggestions.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Teching In

No one's ever had this problem?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

what brand opti did u go with el-cheapo or factory?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Teching In

I went with the cardone distributor (the cheapo). One of my buddies gets a huge discount so I went with that. Plus i'm a broke college student so i couldnt fork out the extra couple hundred bucks

Quick Reply: Ignition problems??