LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problems

I went to a friends house today, was there for a while and then I took off normally. Even did a little burn out. But later on while I was going down the street, as I was about the get to the stop sign I noticed that when I stepped on the clutch the pedal went all the way back and felt really loose. Next the car wouldnt go into gear. I had to turn it off and then put it into first and drive all the way home in first gear. Anyone have an idea as to what might be going on? I have never had problems with the clutch before and one minute its working as usual and the next its really loose and wont let me shift into gear while its on.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

hmm...maybe slave cylinder?
Old 03-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Teching In

I am not familiar with these vehicles because I have never worked on them, but here is how you test to see if it is the slave cylinder that is messed up.

If it is an external slave cylinder way to figure out if it is messed up is for you to locate the slave and have a buddy push down on the clutch pedal. (it should be near where the tranny mates with the motor). If you see the slave cylinder push on the clutch fork then your problem is most likely not the slave cylinder.

If it is an internal cylinder have someone push on the pedal and if it is bad you should be able to hear is squirt fluid inside the tranny when it is pushed down.

Hope this helps.