LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

97 LT1 wont start PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97 LT1 wont start PLEASE HELP!!!

97 camaro a4 lt1 car wont start after replacing fuel pump (sat for a while before pump replacement) here is a list of stuff I have checked with results:

1. Fuel tank emptied and cleaned new pump assembly/sending unit intstalled new fuel added (~8 gallons)

2. Fuel pump working (hear it starting up and shutting down)

3. Fuel pressure over 40 psi after key is on and holds around 40 psi

4. Getting spark on spark plugs. Checked spark energy with a commercial tester on the coil and a couple plugs getting nice blue spark at .085 inches on a commercial tester.

5. Checked Coil primary and secondary winding resistances and they check within specification. Power and signals to the coil and to ignition module are also as specified in a haynes manual i have.

6. Also backtested signal on the distributor connector and it checks out.

7. Checked several injectors on each side of the engine with a NOID light and the light is flashing nice and bright as the NOID instructions say it should if it is functioning properly.

8. Injector resistance measures within spec.

9. Car has a new 630 cca battery which I keep charged up.

10. Muffler was cut off due to provide access to tank and is not on the car (probably a non-issue)

11. New air filter, fuel pump, fuel filter, all fuses are good, grounds check out, pcm seems to be working and has fresh oil and filter.

Any ideas? please somebody anybody lol. Car seems like it wants to start (cranks fine but does not catch). Can smell fuel out of the exhaust. Could it be IAC? rpm's bounce around slightly when trying to start. fuel pressure is good.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be VATS???
Old 03-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
Might be VATS???
Nope. couldn't be vats or it wouldn't start at all if I remember correctly.

Good news is I had a buddy hold open the blade on the tb and I cranked it. Not only did it start but stayed running as long as he held open the blade. Sounds like IAC to me but what do ya'll think?
Old 03-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Teching In

The VATS system would keep a signal from getting to the injectors, if you're popping the noid light this wouldn't be the problem.

Not sure what the difference between your buddy holding the throttle open at the throttle body and you just mashing the go pedal from in the car while cranking it? If you're having to hold the throttle open you may have some injectors fouled with varnish that are leaking and flooding things. Letting it sit a few days may loosen up the injectors if this is the problem.

Michael

Last edited by grammerman; 03-31-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 97 LT1 wont start PLEASE HELP!!!