LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Crankshaft tech needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft tech needed

My aplologies if this has been asked before, but I can never get the search function to work for me properly. Anyway, I am getting ready to build a TT motor and am wondering if anyone knows if the LT1 crank is special beyond a 1 pc seal, and if those folks selling a "late model" one piece forged crank have a product that would work for me. (meaning it does NOT say LT1 specifically...)

thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

the stock lt1 crank is balanced for lightweight pistons any other 350 crank will not work .
Old 04-03-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

The weight of the pistons does not matter, thats why a rotating assembly gets balanced before being installed into the engine. The balance job would include modifying the counterweights on the crank to add or subtract weight in order to work with your piston/rod combo.

The factory crank is external balance on the rear, internal balance on the front. In otherwords it gets a weighted flywheel/flexplate, and a zero balance dampner.

All the aftermarket cranks Ive seen are internal balance on front and rear. This allows you to use a stock replacement balancer and simply remove the weight from the flywheel or flexplate.

So a crank for a 1pc seal SBC INTERNAL BALANCE will work fine, just make sure you get the rotating assembly balanced with the flexplate/flywheel and dampner of choice.

If the guys doing your machine work and balancing do not know what needs to be done, pick someone else to do the work.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Crankshaft tech needed