LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 identification

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT4 identification

Ive got a buddy with a 97 TA and bought the car completely modded. He knows nothing about building an engine aside from maybe intake/catback talk.

anyways, he says the guy before him bought the LT4 conversion kit and put it on. I was just wondering if there was anything to look for (specifically something to ID the heads).

the reason I ask is he tells stories of walking LS1 vettes with 4 people in his car and a trunk full of stereo equipment. "LT4s have like 400 ft lbs" claims of around 400 rwhp, stuff like that.

I know that those numbers are game for a modified LT1, but not LT4 (ie, lt1 with the LT4 heads and cam) ud have to go bigger all around to get those numbers.

we are supposed to line up in the near future. i will probably lose, because he definitly has a cam im there, and im pretty much stock, but thats beside the point.

also, what are some standard numbers for an LT4 with full boltons (LTs, intake, electric water pump, all the outside goodies)

thanks
Old 04-03-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well does he have the red LT4 intake if not then he can't have the LT4 heads either, you could also pop off one of the valve cover to see if it has the gm roller rockers
Old 04-03-2007, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

ill take a look at his engine here in a couple days. i havent actually seen it yet. the vette story just tipped me off to the fact that he may not know what hes talking about

is there no other color intake for those heads? id hate to call him out on it if he has something aftermarket that works with them
Old 04-03-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

the last thre numbers on the casingnumber on the heads should be 327 i think

Quick Reply: LT4 identification