LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Finally... Dyno Time!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally... Dyno Time!!!!

Just an update for the LT1 family... My 2 1/2 year build-up is finally coming to a close. Tomorrow, Jeremy Formato will be tuning the new setup in so we can finally get some RWHP & TQ numbers and have her ready for the track.

Im going home from work today and finishing up with my VSS install on the TH400 and installing my passenger side Kirkey seat. Then doing one more check over everything ive done to this thing, and pulling her out of the garage to get a bath.

In the morning, we're gonna load it on the trailer and head to the dyno. It will likely be an all-day affair, as this is a completely new setup for the car.

So hopefully this weekend or monday I'll get some pics and video loaded up so I can show her off to you all.

Here's a rundown of the car's setup:

96 Trans Am
-383 by Port Pros
-Stg 2 ported stock head castings by Port Pros
-Comp XFI cam 230,236; .571,.576; 114
-Procharger D1sc w/ 7"CP & 3.25" BP
-Custom Fuel system with Eliminator fuel pump, VersaFueler, and 75# injectors mounted in modified stock rails
-AlkyControl.com methanol injection system
-Th400 w/Hipsters Brake by Transmission Physicians in Tampa, FL
-Vigilante 4000 stall converter
-Denny's 3" cromeoly NR driveshaft
-Moser/Strange 9" (Moser housing & 35spline axles; Strange center with Pro Spool and gears)
-Pacesetter Longtube & ORY merged to 4" with dynomax bullet and dump
-BMR TrakPak TQ arm
-BMR boxed SFC's
-Spohn dragrace anti roll bar
-Spohn Panhard poly/rod combo
-Madman Offset LCA's
-QA1 double adjustable front shocks w/300# springs (heavy front end )
-QA1 single adjustable rear shocks; stock rear springs
-Prostars 15x10 rear, 15X6 front
-MT ETdrag 28.0X10.5-15 slicks; MT Sportsman front runners
-Kirkey Econo Drag seats
-Stenod 6pt roll bar
-SJM ABS/TCS delete with line lock and valve
-Madman Altenator relocation bracket
-BeCool radiator and B&M Supercooler trans cooler
!All emission equip
!All HVAC
!Power Steering
!stock seats, spare, etc.
!Front sway bar
!stock carpet/padding; replaced with Ozite
!Radio, speakers, HVAC controls, etc.

She's not as light as she could be yet, but for know its weight is gonna stay the way it is because I cannot wait to get this car down the track!
I got my buddy bringing his digital camera and camcorder tonight so we can start getting as much as possible on film.

So what do you guys think?

Pics and hopefully video will be up by Monday if all goes well!
Old 04-05-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice... good lick man. what made you want to go with that cam?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

I am sure the 114 lsa will sure help out over the 112 version
Old 04-05-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any pictures of this car/setup. Sounds like it will be wicked. Im curious about the numbers as I may be interested down the road going with a d1sc and 383/396, not sure who I want to do it though.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been waiting to here some #'s from this car! Good luck bro!
Old 04-05-2007, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

That's a nasty lookin list you got goin on. Look forward to pics, video's and most importantly; 1/4 mile times.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

What time are you gonna be there? Jeremy told me to get there around 1 so it would be nice to see your car on the dyno too.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
What time are you gonna be there? Jeremy told me to get there around 1 so it would be nice to see your car on the dyno too.
Yep he told me the same... So that was your red Z28? Nice car man

To all...
We're gonna try to get some pics and vid up tomorrow or even this afternoon. Gotta work out some bugs with the video capture software and re-load the camera software.

Let me say this... This car is freakin scary! After the tuning was all done we went out on some Largo streets. Tried to give it some pedal in 2nd gear and was greeted with sideways action by 60% throttle. Eased it up into 3rd gear territory and gave it 75% throttle according to the data logger and got greeted with a wicked case of tire smoke! Jeremy was obviously a little unsettled by that when he decided to grab the seatbelt that wasnt there I hadn't got around to installing the pass. side harness yet so I couldnt scare him or myself anymore for the night.

We spent 5 hours total on the dyno, and made a total of 16pulls. The first pulls started out pretty lean, and then swung hard to the rich side. Toward the end of the evening we finally got the fuel tables and methanol controller dialed in to give decent A/F results. And then we started giving it some timing.

The results.... 550rwhp, 688ft/lbs both curves maintain those numbers (+/- 15) from 5000 to 7000rpm. Flat as it gets for tq/hp!!! And all that through a heavy, power robbing drag race drivetrain!

The D1sc maxed out could only muster 13psi worth of boost and it hit that boost level by 5500rpm maintaining it untill 7000.

For the first pull, Jeremy Formato decided a short pull through 2nd gear would be safer. Except he didnt expect it to be so responsive or quick through the revs. Literally the pull through 2nd gear only lasted 2seconds.

Third gear was no slouch either. With a full pull through 3rd gear only lasting a few seconds as well.

Jeremy told me that my car was the nastiest LT1 he'd ever worked on and that he made so many pulls and spent so much time with the car because it impressed him enough to warrant the extra effort. Coming from a sworn LS1 guy who generally doesnt like LT1's, that was a HUGE complement. He even offered to coach me along in learning to tune this car myself and go to the track to assist in tuning it further.

Here's the bummer, I either need to have my converter tightened up a bit or drop my gear ratio numerically to get the mph Im gonna need. According to the dyno (and I have no idea how accurate these numbers are) top speed in 3rd gear would only be 115 at 7000rpm. When I originally made my gear decision, the calculator I used suggested 3.70's would get me 135mph at 6500rpm. So I need to run the calculator again with all this data to figure my actual converter slip % and talk to Precision Industries about whether I need to tighten the converter or lower the gear number.

Tony, all I can say is THANK YOU!!! and You rock! I couldnt be happier about having harold build this motor. And I would never have even called him if it werent for you. The first pull was so lean it shouldve popped right there, a few pulls after that were dangerously lean as well and the motor took it all in stride. Can we say bullet proof?!? The first pulls AFR was 16:1 and it still made 530rwhp. We had to raise the base FP to 60psi to get the 75# injectors to start swinging the AFR in the right direction.

The tune is by no means perfect. There's still alot of part throttle tuning to do and theres alot of timing left for WOT. But we are hanging by a threads on the ragged edge of what the factory pcm can handle. The MAF tables were maxed out just before the factory 1bar map was maxed out So all the fueling above 0 vacuum was a real trick to get even close. But in all Im EXTREMELY satisfied with the results of the first WOT throttle pulls this motors ever seen.

In all, there's lots of room for improvement in many areas. But Im extremely satisfied with the results so far. I couldnt believe the TQ curve was above the HP curve for the most of the rpm range. An absolute TQ monster

Any input on the converter/gear ratio issue guys?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:59 AM
8 Second Club

WOW! That is awesome man! Harold called and told me yesterday. Congrats to ya! Get that thing to the track.

Harold and the crew at PortPros rocks!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, Can't wait to see some track times, Sounds like you have amonster..
Old 04-11-2007, 09:39 AM

Great job on the set-up and tuning, can't wait to see some track times. That's a mean LT1 you have there.
It was great working with you on your project, stay in touch and post some track times!
If I can help out in anyway let me know, also would you mind if I posted the video and some pictures of your car on my website?
If that's cool with you please send me a few pictures and the video and we'll put them up.
If anyone out there is interested have a look at our website www.PortPros.com we'd be happy to build one for you.

Harold
Port Pros LLC
512-257-0222
Old 04-11-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow, looks like a killer. top notch parts and a blower
Old 04-11-2007, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice #'s , glad to see Jeremy take the time on your lt1 to get her right. Maybe we can line up at Bradenton one day? I'll be sure to run the 250 shot for you, lol!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep couldnt be happier with the motor, calling this car a beast doesnt quite do it justice. I cant drive it on the street, even with slicks its just too scary!

Harold,
Were working on getting the video for the dyno runs up, but having some issues. My DV camcorder kept dying so I only got the 1st and last pulls on it. But my buddy brought a non-DV camcorder and got most of the runs. So we're trying to get the video off of one camera and onto another so we can get the digital version onto the pc

But yeah, no problem on posting that stuff on the website, I will get it to you even if I have to send a DVD-R in that crate!! lol

For everyone, were possibly gonna head to the track for a shakedown pass or two either tomorrow, or Sunday... Depending on whether I can get it aligned today or not. Then we'll get to see how well my converter and gear choices are working out
Old 04-11-2007, 01:55 PM

Thanks, I look forward to the pictures and video.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got off the phone with a guy from Canon who gave me some ideas to try with getting the video transferred... We'll see how it goes.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice numbers. Post the graph when you have time.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Those are some nice numbers, if the D1sc is maxing out, maybe its F1 time
Old 04-11-2007, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fire67
Yep he told me the same... So that was your red Z28? Nice car man
Yep that was me. I took my opti apart today and it was arcing inside the cap, so it looks like I found the problem. Did vig build you a 4k converter for your car, or is it just a generic 4k stall? You're probably blowing right through the convertor with all that power.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, I spent like 3 hours on the phone with the guys from Precision Industries giving them all the info I could about the converter. It seems to flash right to 4K-4.2K, but I havent tried it on the Trans Brake yet to see what the 'true' stall speed is.

I'll hopefully have the trans brake all wired up with the 2step this afternoon so I can give it a try.

RealQuick,
Ive gotta sse if I can get Jeremy to email my graphs to me, the copy I have isnt scanning too well... Then again that could be by the fault of my scanner

Bizzatch350, F1 would be nice! But unfortunately thats gonna have to wait till next years income tax return at least. I had my belt shred right off the pulleys the day after the dyno, so I may have even been getting some belt slip... Im strongly considering the SDCE tensioner setup, to complement the Reichard Ultra-Grip pulley I already have.

By the looks of the old belt (the part I found anyway) the pulley was definitely digging into the belt, but I still got some slight belt dust all over the front of the blower... Just not about to drop $400+ on a tensioner yet. Well see how a fresh belt does first.

Quick Reply: Finally... Dyno Time!!!!