LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Where to buy this Elbow??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy this Elbow??

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/gmcastelbow.htm

Where can i buy this and how much does it cost? does anyone know...Let me know Thanks Jason
Old 04-16-2007, 12:20 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get the Vorteh elbow that is almost exactly like that from Summit.

Tony.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

i know jegs carries them. i was flipping through there and saw that.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one of those Granatelli elbows from Jeg's a year ago with the intentions of polishing it, and the casting was loaded with porosity. Didn't take much sanding before it started to look like a piece of Swiss cheese. For $92, this was an extremely disappointing purchase. I could've bought one of the ones sold on Ebay $40 cheaper and gotten the same quality.

Even after sanding all the roughness out of the cast and getting it to a uniform 220 grit finish, it still ended up taking 12 basecoats to fill in all the air bubbles to make it look smooth again. (Wetsanding after every third coat, and finishing with black candy clear over that.) How rough the inside of this elbow looks in this pic, was how rough it originally was on the outside straight out of the box:

Old 04-16-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Density
You can get the Vorteh elbow that is almost exactly like that from Summit.

Tony.

That's what I have, non polished/chromed and it does look like that. If there is chromed ones out there, don't chrome it or buy it. Chrome holds heat like a bastard. Anything chrome on a performance motor is a big big no-no.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula350
That's what I have, non polished/chromed and it does look like that. If there is chromed ones out there, don't chrome it or buy it. Chrome holds heat like a bastard. Anything chrome on a performance motor is a big big no-no.
Let's stop and think about this for a minute: if an intake elbow "holding heat" was a concern, then why does Trickflow offer an elbow that has thermal barrier ceramic coating on it? A source of heat, like an engine block, which radiates heat from the inside out, is something that you would wanna avoid chroming. But elbows are not a source of heat. With an elbow, the complete opposite is true: the heat comes from without.

Anything you can do to that elbow, (chrome, polish, ceramic coat), that will insulate it from heat transferring from other components in the engine bay, (block, headers, radiator, etc.), is going to help.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

again the air moving through the intake track is moving so fast that it doesnt have time to pick up enough heat to make a difference.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Let's stop and think about this for a minute: if an intake elbow "holding heat" was a concern, then why does Trickflow offer an elbow that has thermal barrier ceramic coating on it? A source of heat, like an engine block, which radiates heat from the inside out, is something that you would wanna avoid chroming. But elbows are not a source of heat. With an elbow, the complete opposite is true: the heat comes from without.

Anything you can do to that elbow, (chrome, polish, ceramic coat), that will insulate it from heat transferring from other components in the engine bay, (block, headers, radiator, etc.), is going to help.
Thermal BARRIER. Blocking heat. And as you said, the engine radiates heat. So anything around, or connected to it, heats up. I know the chrome CAI tube I have gets much warmer than I'd expect, and my elbow stays cool. Not that I installed it, or bought it, and if I had the money I'd replace it. And the oil pan I had on my last motor, because I was in a pinch, and that's all the local place carried, good lord did that thing get hot. Not only that, but it STAYED very warm for at least 4 hours later. Unless it's a seldomly driven show car, I highly advise against chrome.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula350
Thermal BARRIER. Blocking heat. And as you said, the engine radiates heat. So anything around, or connected to it, heats up. I know the chrome CAI tube I have gets much warmer than I'd expect, and my elbow stays cool.
The chrome CAI tube feels hotter because it's reflecting the heat being radiated from the engine back at you. Your elbow on the other hand, doesn't feel as hot because rough surfaces don't reflect. In fact, the rougher a surface is, the more it acts as a heat SINK.

Heat that gets reflected, doesn't enter the airflow path.