LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

code 34- Map sensor voltage low

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default code 34- Map sensor voltage low

the service engine light ceme up today, then went away then came back. i know what the map sensor is but what would cause the voltage to be too low. i just fixed one hting then this pops up . it seems if i am cruising at low rpm's in a higher gear at like 50 mph, it decellerates alot faster than usual?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I just had this, it basically means either the map sensor is bad or there is a problem with the wiring either to the map sensor. the map sensor is pretty important because it controls several key parameters regarding timing and other things, so if the computer can't read it that can affect driveability somewhat.

what you have to do is check the voltage between the black and grey wires on the connector with the key on (engine off), it should be 5v. if it's not then there is a problem in the wiring of those, if it is then check the voltage of the green wire while the engine is on and the connector is attached to the sensor, if it's very low (less than 0.5v) then the sensor or connector is bad. If it's good (more than 1v) than there is a problem in the wiring somewhere with that wire to the pcm.

also sometimes it's just the connector that is bad.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Teching In

alright well i checked the wires and voltage. they are fine, then i injected the sensor with gasoline and cleaned it. after drying i put it back on the light came on again, then went off shortly and stayed off for about 3 days. drove perfect. now it is back on so i am just goign to buy a new sensor. question is: how much does one cost. for some reason it takes 2 years to search on my computer and murrays is closed right now.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

you can usually get it at any auto parts store, normally $30-$50
Old 07-19-2021, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by infinitebird
I just had this, it basically means either the map sensor is bad or there is a problem with the wiring either to the map sensor. the map sensor is pretty important because it controls several key parameters regarding timing and other things, so if the computer can't read it that can affect driveability somewhat.

what you have to do is check the voltage between the black and grey wires on the connector with the key on (engine off), it should be 5v. if it's not then there is a problem in the wiring of those, if it is then check the voltage of the green wire while the engine is on and the connector is attached to the sensor, if it's very low (less than 0.5v) then the sensor or connector is bad. If it's good (more than 1v) than there is a problem in the wiring somewhere with that wire to the pcm.

also sometimes it's just the connector that is bad.
Alternatively I was poking around and noticed that my car was missing the hose clamp for where the intake elbow meets the throttle body. Went to the hardware shop and bought one to put on for $3, fixed this code immediately. I guess it was a humbling reminder to always check the simple things first haha

Quick Reply: code 34- Map sensor voltage low