LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Edit Noob (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 Edit Noob (HELP)

Alright, just got my LT1 edit in, I just wanna know the basics, and some do's and dont's. I have a 1996 Z28 with a 388 stroker, has just about everything. What else do I need to be a good tuner on LT1 edit? Or can I just use LT1 edit to do the tuning. I would also like to know what I can do to get the car running better before I get the equipment to check the parameters, because the car is basically fully modded and never been tuned + 42# injectors that I havent installed because of this. I can post a mod list if needed.

Things I wanna know:

Deleting Cats
Deleting Rear o2s
Deleting AIR
Changing Gear Ratio / Speedo Correct
Tuning for bigger injectors
Tuning to get good a/f ratio
Turning the fans on @ 180 degrees
Retarding timing

Also wanna just know what means what, and stuff I should really need to know. Thank you for all the input and help.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im in the same boat, let me know how it turns out
Old 04-25-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm more familiar with obd1 but I'll answer what I can.

The two main tables you will want to change are the constants table and ecm switch table (not sure exactly what it is called in edit, but in tunercat program those are called constants and switch). The constants table controls a lot of your basic parameters and the switch table lets you delete codes.

Originally Posted by Mike96z
Deleting Cats
In the constants table there are some options for "cat protect" mode. Basically just set the enable temps so that this mode will never be entered. Also there might be a few codes dealing with cat failure, just uncheck or deselect those in the switch table.

Deleting AIR
Again in the constants table there is an option for AIR pump enable temp and a few other things, just set that to the max so it will never try to enable it. There are a few codes dealing with AIR so just delete them in the switch table.

Changing Gear Ratio / Speedo Correct
Not sure how edit handles this, in TC there is a speedo calibrate option where you enter your gears and tire size and it auto calculates the correct value. If there is nothing like that, these are the values that control the speedo calibration, you'll have to figure out the correct ones for your setup. They are all in the constants table (at least on obd1).

Speedometer Scaler
Speedometer Scaler Fraction
Speedometer Scaler Scantool
Time Between Pulses For Stop
Pulses Per Driveshaft Revolution

Tuning for bigger injectors
You just need to change the injector constant (also in the constants table) by the appropriate percentage. You can get the formula with a search probably.

Tuning to get good a/f ratio
Again not sure on obd2, but for obd1 there is a table called % change A/F Ratio at WOT vs RPM which controls this for WOT. For part throttle, you cannot control A/F directly (except in open loop).

Turning the fans on @ 180 degrees
There are several constants in the constants table dealing with fan enable temps. They are in degrees C so just change those to whatever you want.

Retarding timing
There's 2 main timing tables (at least on obd1) called main spark advance (that goes to 4000 rpm) and extended spark advance (that goes higher). Just reduce the values in those tables to retard timing.

Again I'm not sure what all of that is different on obd2 (I assume some of it is) so just be aware that might not be exactly everything there is.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

LT1edit is quite a bit different, and a bit more straightforward than CATS.

http://carputing.tripod.com/9495LT1Edit.htm

Check that site out for some good info.

But as most will tell you on this site, its worth the money to get it dyno tuned for WOT .
And a lot safer than trying to do it yourself.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by theroad64
LT1edit is quite a bit different, and a bit more straightforward than CATS.

http://carputing.tripod.com/9495LT1Edit.htm

Check that site out for some good info.

But as most will tell you on this site, its worth the money to get it dyno tuned for WOT .
And a lot safer than trying to do it yourself.
But thats mostly OBDI and my program looks kinda different
Old 04-26-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need to make a couple more purchases, if you have not already. First, you need a scanner. AutoTap will allow you to monitor and log, as well as turning off the codes when you start deleting things.
Second, you need a wideband. It is absolutely critical to get this, since the narrowband O2s are useless for tuning.
Third, you need to go to the PCM Diagnostics & Tuning section in this forum. Print out and read the Tuning docs in the second sticky. This is imperative also. You will have to translate some of the things they talk about, since the software they reference is for the LS1. LT1Edit does not have as many features as the LS1 software, and some things are named a little different, but perform the same function.
Fourth, you need to familiarize yourself with both software packages, LT1Edit for modifying the PCM, and AutoTap, for scanning and logging. Do some runs with AutoTap logging, and analyze the log files. Use the 3.1 "Beta" version of the software. It fixes some major bugs in version 3.0, but only runs on the USB version, not on AT1 versions. Lt1Edit will allow to make all the changes you listed, so you are set in that regard.
Before you start modifying your PCM, be sure to upload your stock file from your PCM. Archive in on CD in case your PC crashes. Upload the file again, and do a comparison using LT1Edit. Make sure that they are the same.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Prices on the extra things Ill need? Thanks

Quick Reply: LT1 Edit Noob (HELP)