LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Here I go again! Optispark problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Here I go again! Optispark problems

Wow, after only having my 93 Z running for about a year and only limited driving the brand new OEM Optispark has gone bad. Yesterday while driving my Z the same problems started to occur when the first Opti went out. I believe the car has less than 5000 miles on it since I replaced the Opti and rebuilt the LT1. Good old code 36. I guess I should have listened to the guy at Summit Racing when he stated I would be purchasing a new Opti about once a year. I think I will look at different options. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I will swap to a 6.0 LS1 when the time comes to rebuild the motor in my car . No more optis for me !
Old 05-03-2007, 09:56 AM
KTM
On The Tree

My only suggestions are to stop getting it wet, and put the 95 up cap on so you can run the vent hoses. Should go for a LONG time with no problem.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could put a MSD unit on. One thing it does is give a free air hose for the older style of Opti's like ares. I have had my opti in for two years now. It is just hit or miss with it some people have had theirs on for a long time others once a year thing.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

how do you know if the fuel pump is going bad as opposed to the opti? i got a fuel gauge reading and it showed low fuel pressure before starting, while starting, and idle....all low...im assuming fuel pump right?
Old 05-10-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

To the OP: If you've got a DTC 36, I'd double check continuity between your Optispark's electrical connector and the corresponding PCM pinout. I can look up the pin numbers if you need. It'd be a shame to throw in a new Optispark if it's just a $2.00 electrical connection failure.

That, and make sure to seal your new Optisparks with RTV. I converted my factory 1994 Opti to use vent-lines as well, but it's probably easier to just get an MSD or Dynaspark unit -- if you've got the cash laying around.

Originally Posted by LT1Formula26
how do you know if the fuel pump is going bad as opposed to the opti? i got a fuel gauge reading and it showed low fuel pressure before starting, while starting, and idle....all low...im assuming fuel pump right?
What was it reading?

If you look over by the PCM / passenger side hood strut, you should find a short, loose white wire with a black plastic connector on the end. This is a fuel pump prime connector. Connect that wire to the positive battery terminal or the remote power distribution bolt, and it'll trip the relay to run the pump non-stop.

Doing this, you should have roughly 42-47psi at the rail. Alternatively, with the car running at idle, it should drop by several psi, usually into the high 30's.

I wouldn't rule out a clogged fuel filter -- change that first.

[/hijack]