LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

pics of some custom work on my LT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pics of some custom work on my LT1

Took a ride down to the shop today and they were busy on the lathe fabbing me up some spacers for my crank trigger/vacuum pump so I was able to take a look at the motor and check out some of the finish work they've been doing on it. Kinda just wrapping up loose ends. We're still having the issue with the head gasket clearance with the pushrods but the new head gaskets will be in by weeks end so the heads will be quickly removed and put back on with new clearanced gaskets in place.... well enuff of that...

My engine needed a timing tab to verify with a timing light was the FAST XFI is telling us our timing offset was, so as the original LT1 has hard programmed timing with the opti no timing tab is needed. Well not with this motor. So CSM fabbed up this trick little piece of aluminum and mounted the timing tab to the motor. I was real happy with the results.... The other picture is the Victor manifold. It had a water crossover on it but my engine guy wanted to cut it off, smooth it down and then weld it so it'll look like it was never there. We also fabbed a bracket today for the fuel pressure regulator but it wasn't done before i took the pictures.... keep in mind the manifold is in step 1 of the machining process and i'll take some more pics once it gets welded and smoothed over...

Last edited by OutlawZ; 05-29-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:25 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the !Water Neck on the singe planes. Looks good bro.

Tony.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Looking real good!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be able to make a little money with that timing pointer design. That's some nice fab work.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:35 PM
9 Second Club

You might be able to make a little money with that timing pointer design. That's some nice fab work
That's all Lance, my engine builder.... he's quite the fabricator... We mocked it up with the water pump in position since the most important part was that we be able to see it with a timing light when the water pump is bolted up... I didn't know we needed one until he reminded me that although the FAST might say our timing is "X" the only true way to know if the offset is correct is to compare what XFI is saying with what the timing light says. So on it went...

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'll be sure to let Lance know. Maybe he'll make more if people need them for their one off builds...
Old 05-30-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

most aftermarket smc timing pointers will bolt right up with a few spacers
Old 05-30-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Veteran

wait wheres that flat black thing from hell in the front?!?!?!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:24 AM
9 Second Club

most aftermarket smc timing pointers will bolt right up with a few spacers
Our timing covers have completely different bolt pattern so I don't see how a SBC one will fit even with spacers.... the spacer will move it outward but what about the bolt pattern? also we had to be careful of belt routing. If the belt goes up at all it will pull against the pointer.... I'm running a low mount alternator so that was also used in the mockup of this pointer.... It clears by about 1/4"....
Old 05-30-2007, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Our timing covers have completely different bolt pattern so I don't see how a SBC one will fit even with spacers.... the spacer will move it outward but what about the bolt pattern? also we had to be careful of belt routing. If the belt goes up at all it will pull against the pointer.... I'm running a low mount alternator so that was also used in the mockup of this pointer.... It clears by about 1/4"....
actually they are only different over the top

I have pics some where. I figured it out when I was doing the work to put the opti setup on a SBC Gen I
Old 05-30-2007, 01:25 AM
9 Second Club

hmmmmm yeah i was looking at an SBC just now and you're right it's different on the top.... Something that lance said was why he had to fab up that plate but i can't remember. It might have been just where he wanted it or the fact that it had to be visible with the WP in place but i'm not 100% sure.... i'll ask again tommorrow...

That black thing that is no longer there is where all opti's are born and live their lives when not on engines..... In the bowels of hell.....

where this one shall remain.... crank trigger wheel and pickup goes on tommorrow...
Old 05-30-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Veteran

so what kind of ignition are you going with?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 05-30-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good and very nicely done fabrication work by your guy.

Man I can't wait until the day comes that I have the money to build a nasty fully built engine.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:23 PM
9 Second Club

so what kind of ignition are you going with?
Ignition is an MSD crank trigger with low profile MSD true distributor in the back..... Nology coil, MSD Digital 6 ignition box....... All hooked up to a FAST XFI box for fuel/spark control...
Old 05-30-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

i would love to do a standard rear distributor.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:54 PM
9 Second Club

yeah when i mentioned to CSM my intention of running an MSD billet opti on my solid roller 383 with 400 shot about a year ago my engine guy gave me that look right before he burst into laughter.....

my days of opti problems are gone...although i have to say my opti on both my stock plus bolt ons/nitrous LT1 and my 355 low 10 second nitroused LT1 gave me no problems in a few years of messing with it..... I just don't want to start now...

Quick Reply: pics of some custom work on my LT1