LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 intakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

T/A Kid is who sent his to LE. He posted in the other thread about the Intake Elbow's dual plane.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LT1 and LT4 intakes are different, LT4 has a .200 raised intake port(to match LT4 heads)...so they are different.

David
Old 06-08-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The LT1 in NOT like gen 1 or gen 3 motors which respond quite well to intake swaps even when stock. The bone stock LT1 intake suits the motor very well and despite what you will read here keeps working well even on modified motors. I am guessing your car is pretty stock, if so put this idea WAY at the bottom of your wish list.
Agreed. If your car is stock I woudn't even be looking at intakes. Do the basics first, which is exhaust (LT's with either a nice flowing catback or duals), CAI or ram air, a tune up new plugs wires, then a program for the pcm. Then after that I would get into a aluminum drive shaft and either a 3.73s or 4.10s depending if your car is auto or m6. And even after that I would then I still wouldn't be looking at intakes, then I would be looking at getting all the power to the ground. Get yourself a new phb and lca's. All that right their if you do it right and buy quality is well over 2 grand. Don't worry about the motor and intake, build your car from the ground up not vice verse (strong foundation).

Well that's my 2 cents.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Teching In

yeah, lucky for me i just finished my full tune up, talk about pain in the ***.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
LT1 and LT4 intakes are different, LT4 has a .200 raised intake port(to match LT4 heads)...so they are different.

David
David,

Look real hard at this picture and you can see the difference betwean the two intakes. You will also note that the ports are almost identical. If I get some time, I will post up comparison pictures of the LT1 vs LT4 heads. There you will see a difference in the ports!

Take Care,

Daren

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...1/DCP_1456.jpg
Old 06-08-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea the LT4 heads were redesigned which helped quite a bit over their LT1 brethren.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:27 PM
9 Second Club

Or you could skip the intakeelbows idea and buy the Edelbrock Victor EFI intake for $299 and just drill for the LT1 bolt pattern yourself:
Good luck doing that unless you have serious access to good machine shop quality gear..... There is a reason that port pros and others charge along the lines of 500 bucks for the conversion.... Not only do you have to drill the holes in the right places which you can't just eyeball but the bolt angles are entirely different which requires a sort of countersunk chamfer on the bolt hole. You only get ONE chance to do it or you'll junk your intake unless you have access to someone who can weld.... If you intend to convert to single plane there are numerous things you are going to need besides just the intake.... but on the intake idea get a pro to do it right the first time....
Old 06-09-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Good luck doing that unless you have serious access to good machine shop quality gear..... There is a reason that port pros and others charge along the lines of 500 bucks for the conversion.... Not only do you have to drill the holes in the right places which you can't just eyeball but the bolt angles are entirely different which requires a sort of countersunk chamfer on the bolt hole. You only get ONE chance to do it or you'll junk your intake unless you have access to someone who can weld.... If you intend to convert to single plane there are numerous things you are going to need besides just the intake.... but on the intake idea get a pro to do it right the first time....
Bah, we did it by hand with a drill lol Of course we didn't countersink the hole for the bolt. We used some brass tube stock and cut the intake side at the right angle, and bought a tad longer bolts. That was for the early centerbolt with just the center two bolt holes being different from old school SBC. We're crazy like that , and no it didn't leak. I can't see why a normal drill press wouldn't cut it.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Formula350 is one of these kids who thinks a Summit catalogue is the performance bible . The aftermarket is LOADED with JUNK designed to do little but take your money, Hypertech and Granatelli for instance, hell I was looking at a K&N book today at the parts store and they claimed 18HP gain at 4700rpms for their stuff on a Caprice . The stock intake is grandpa quiet and restrictive but I can not believe that number.

Only reason Edelbrock jumped back into the market was because GM discontinued the LT4 which created a panic among those who make all the usual assumptions. They tried and admitted failure a decade ago, sure maybe they learned a little and were able to make some small improvement today that they couldn't back then but you guys have way too much faith. Look at the cold hard fact that they offer a heads/cam package which is slightly ported which makes under 400FWhp which everyone these days seems to believe is the minimum a ported stock heads setup should make at the tires.

Now I will be the first to say magazines are poor information sources but no worse than marketing departments so it will do for this purpose.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...cam_355_build/
Vortec headed(based on the iron LT1 heads you guys all think suck) a HOT cam on a budget 355 makes 412hp with a DUAL PLANE and 420 with a super victor. Now I will admit it is a 355 which carries some advantages IF done well but for a motor on this tight a budget they didn't put too terribly much effort into it.

I have no problem with Edelbrock as a company, had a Performer intake on a carbed truck and it was a good mod, also currently have an Edelbrock TB on the car and other than the IAC bypass which almost all aftermarket TBs lack it is a quality piece. The IAC bypass is maybe best left to the owner anyway so it can be made the right size for a modified engine and keep the IAC motor in the right range.

I am not saying the Edelbrock LT1 intake is bad, I am saying I think you guys are expecting too much and many of you are making claims completely unsubstantiated to date. The fact so many of you put so much blind faith in a brand name is exactly why we have so many crappy parts available.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

The LT1 in NOT like gen 1 or gen 3 motors which respond quite well to intake swaps even when stock. The bone stock LT1 intake suits the motor very well and despite what you will read here keeps working well even on modified motors. I am guessing your car is pretty stock, if so put this idea WAY at the bottom of your wish list.
I will second that..the Stock Intake even on a 383 will out-run the Engine. It does breathe very well. Once you start getting up there like some of them guys that run 10's and under, then I would look for one of the Sheetmetal ones with the Elbow.

The Gen I with a raised Intake works very well, and the LSX Engines work nicely when you switch Intakes out. The one I have goin on mine is one of the best ones out there right now for the combination, and the Throttle Body flows somewhere around 1200-1400CFM..enough to suck some birds in..

If you want looks for being unique then I would say go with that new Eldebrock one, but as far as performance, the stock one is fine.
Save your money and get something else like a Stall..or what ever you want to get.

Last edited by the_merv; 06-09-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

96capricemgr
I agree with you on most occasions definatly your above statement.
I do HOPE good things from the Edebrock intake, we shall see.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Launching!

96capricemgr

I also agree with more of what you say. Something are true and others are well wrong. I have built and ran 355's with a hot cam making 400+ Its really not hard with good fuel and compression. The vortec heads are based off LT heads.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what's kind've funny?

Seems like alot of the LS1 guys want a central feed Gen 1'ish intake, the L98 guys want a shorter runner LT1'ish intake, and we want a longer runner LS1'ish intake.

Talk about a circle jerk.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Formula350 is one of these kids who thinks a Summit catalogue is the performance bible .

Yup, that's me . I haven't looked at a Summit magazine, OR Jegs, in I don't know how long. I haven't BOUGHT anything from either in 6 or 7 years. You really need to stop making stupid assumptions. It doesn't pertain to this situation, but just remember "Assumptions are the mother of all **** ups". One day you'll make an assumption, and something bad will come from it

But hey, do whatever you need to do to feed your ego.

EDIT: I actually took the time to read your post, and you are making even more assumptions than I could have expected! I'm not one of those who thinks the iron LT1 heads from the B-Bodies suck. I think some people just prefer alu for it's cooling properties. And as far as the intake goes, you're no better than I. You shoot it down before you see anything real about it, I'm at least giving it a chance. I haven't read one internet article on it, I don't bother doing that with any car part. I get my info from you people, who have ran it, and won't be biased because you got fronted money from the manufacturer.

Last edited by Formula350; 06-10-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:27 PM
9 Second Club

Bah, we did it by hand with a drill lol Of course we didn't countersink the hole for the bolt. We used some brass tube stock and cut the intake side at the right angle, and bought a tad longer bolts. That was for the early centerbolt with just the center two bolt holes being different from old school SBC. We're crazy like that , and no it didn't leak. I can't see why a normal drill press wouldn't cut it.
Okay I should have said spend the money to do it "properly"..... Are there ways it can be done and make it work, yeah.... but i've seen friends of mine instead of spending money use old doorbell buttons as their nitrous activation buttons.... Does it work: yeah.... Is it properly setup???? Maybe if you're a hillbilly...

Again there are other ways to do it but if you want it done right spend the money and have it done right....
Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow doorbell buttons :O One night you should sneak into their garage and also wire up a door bell to it, inside under the seat or something. Maybe a wireless one, since they run off of 9Vs lol

Quick Reply: LT1 intakes