LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New Motor Running Like Crap

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Motor Running Like Crap

I'm running out of ideas of what to do to get my car to run how it should. I have a really bad shutter/miss between 2000-3000 RPMs when just crusing and WOT misses under 5000 then it cleans up. It runs really good cold, but once its up to temp (~170*) it starts to break up which is making me think its not the Opti. So far I have replaced......

MAP Sensor
Map Pigtail
Opti Wiring Harness
Throttle Position Sensor
Water Temp Sensor on WP
Plugs Gapped @ .050 (may be part of it)
Wires (None Burnt or Loose)
I may have forgotten something

I'm now going to replace my plugs again and gap them to .0?? and I'm going to order some new 02 sensors.

I ran a scan and all it was showing was MAP reading high, but from what I have read it may be the cams fault. Its pulling good vaccum, but its running rich on the drivers side, but I have a small exhaust leak that needs to be taken car of.

I was about to order a new Opti, but it runs good when its cold, but as soon as its warmed up it starts to break up and shutter and not want to idle. A friend of mine has some tuning software now, so I may let him have a go at it and see if it gets any better, but I really guess it can't get any worse.

Other than a dyno tune (I can't afford that right now) what are your suggestions? Any help will be appreciated
Old 06-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Teching In

i just replace the 02 sensors on my 95 ta i could drive for about 5 to 10 min it ran good then soon as it warmed up it would spit and spuder barley pull it self and you could smell the gas when you stand behind the car coming from the tail pipes after i changed the 02 sensors reset the couputer it rand good agian
Old 06-16-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like it runs good until it goes into closed loop. I would look at replacing the O2 sensors, and or check the wiring. A bad O2 can cause the car to run rich and can foul out plugs. I would check your plugs to.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Well I just changed the plugs again, I'm on my 3rd set and there is only 60 miles on my new motor. The plugs are getting fouled because its running really rich. I have 2 more sets of TR55s sitting in my garage, but I was going to wait until I got the new O2s before I ruin another set of plugs.

Ok the O2s are going to be ordered in about 15 minutes, or as soon as I find some A/Cs online. And when I replace the O2s I'll fix my small exhaust leak and the plugs, but what should I gap my plugs too???

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 06-26-2007, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

any update?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Might always try the ICM. They get cranky when they get hot. Also your tune might be adding fuel to the fire (no pun).
Old 06-27-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

An exhaust leak before the O2's can cause a false lean condition. This will cause a rich condition.