LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tuning help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning help please

Hey guys I have bought a car with the motor rebuilt a two hundred miles before. 1997 Trans Am Heads,cam,stock bottom end, and all the supporting mods. My service engine light came on and stayed so my buddy slash mechanic pull a plug and told me it was running lean. So I haven't been driving it for the whole month I have owned it, waiting to get it tuned. So I have had a hard time finding somewhere local and now I have I thought about tuning it myself with a substancial amount of help from my friend "he says he can do it and I believe him". So this brings me to my point. I looked into lt1 edit ($450) then everyone told me to go tunercat then tunercat told me that they do not offer anything for my car to check with Jet Spectrum ($500). So I am trying to decide between the two but my real question is what else do I need: a Scanner "what is the price for one of these"? Gauges? Which ones? Rev limiter and timing control for my 6al msd box? Please tell me what I need I am frustrated and can not get help anywhere else and want to drive my car. Thanks for any help.

Chase
Old 06-29-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

The only real scanner for obd2 at the moment is autotap enhanced which is $300. Either lt1edit or the Jet (formerly TC) software will be fine for tuning.

However, if your problem is running lean at part throttle (not wot), then I don't think that is a tuning problem, since you can't adjust that through tuning anyway, unless you have an entirely open loop tune. I would look at what is causing that situation (bad o2 sensor, vaccum/exhaust leak, fuel problem, etc are possibilities).
Old 06-29-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I do need a scanner to make sure I am keeping things safe while tuning right? Or am I off course with that idea?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

No you want the scanner so you can see what all the sensors are showing. But first I would scan for codes to see what that light is. Maybe your TPS is bad or something and all you have to do is replace it and your car runs fine after that. (Just for the sake of example.)
Old 06-29-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys