LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ticking noise from valvetrain

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking noise from valvetrain

I drove the T/A tonight for a little bit and noticed a ticking noise when I left. I thought it was just because it was cold because it was the first time it was cranked in 3-4 days. I drove maybe 10-15 miles and the ticking noise was still there, so I brought it back home. I popped the hood and listened for a minute and my dad and I have come to the conclusion that it is coming from the valve train(although we arent ruling out the possibility of an exhaust leak). Here is the recent history...

Sept. 06- Installed CC305 112 LSA, beehive springs, Comp 1.6 SA rockers, kept stock lifters, hardened pushrods.

Feb. 07-installed pacesetter LTs used felpro-1406 gaskets

The car doesnt feel like it is down on power.
I know there is probably more information need to properly analyze this problem, but here is a start.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RR are known to make ticking noises. Low oil in the valve train is ALSO known to cause the same ordeal. Couple those two together and it's a good bet that is the cause. They also could have came out of adjustment a bit.

Could also be an exhaust leak.

If you have a long screw driver or socket extension, make a fist around the handle or end of the extension and place it on the valve covers. Put your ear up to your fist and listen. Or just go buy a real automotive stethoscope lol that's just the poor mans version.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Well, I know that RRs are known to make that noise, but I can tell this isnt normal. I tried the stethescope method...well the metal rod method lol, and I dont think that it is coming from the valve cover.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:48 AM
12 Second Club

I've got the EXACT problem Im pretty sure I got a noisey lifter at first I was scared that it was a big problem but now Ive leaned to live with the sound for the time being.
I have yet to switch my oil to 10w30 to see if it help quiet down the noise. If that doesnt take care of it owell gues I will be taking care of it in the winter time when I upgrade my valve train completly with all new stuff and the le2 setup.

Quick Reply: ticking noise from valvetrain