LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LE2 package, or get them ported elsewhere?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to go with my local friend. He said he can port my heads and the intake for $300. The thing is, I need to figure out what cam I need to get. Were going to look over some cams tomorrow, because he told me not to buy the cam until he knows what it is. He need to get the right springs for it as well.

He also mentioned that it's possible for me to get a cam that ranges from 2000-6200 and I shouldn't have a problem if I don't get a stall. I guess it's a personal choice? So, I'm undecided. I would like to save the money, then again I don't know how big of a difference it will make. Like I said, this is going to be a highway car. What do you guys think?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z 2 8
I decided to go with my local friend. He said he can port my heads and the intake for $300. The thing is, I need to figure out what cam I need to get. Were going to look over some cams tomorrow, because he told me not to buy the cam until he knows what it is. He need to get the right springs for it as well.

He also mentioned that it's possible for me to get a cam that ranges from 2000-6200 and I shouldn't have a problem if I don't get a stall. I guess it's a personal choice? So, I'm undecided. I would like to save the money, then again I don't know how big of a difference it will make. Like I said, this is going to be a highway car. What do you guys think?
Good luck!

Have you checked on what the good head porters charge to do heads and an LT1 maniford? It's many times $300 and worth it.

Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

No offense, but I think you will be tossing your money away.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Good luck!

Have you checked on what the good head porters charge to do heads and an LT1 maniford? It's many times $300 and worth it.

Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

No offense, but I think you will be tossing your money away.
You think so, but I'm getting the same kind of port job I would get anywhere...He is doing it on the side for me...Normally, he said they charge 1200-1500 for what I'm getting done...

I've known him for a long time and he has been working at this place for 5 years now...

Why do you think I'm wasting my money? Because I intend on not getting a stall? Well, since I'm saving money, I may end up getting a stall. Would that make things better? I don't get where your coming from?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

You think so, but I'm getting the same kind of port job I would get anywhere...He is doing it on the side for me...Normally, he said they charge 1200-1500 for what I'm getting done...
I sure hope he knows what he's doing man.
Let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flame
You don't loose on the low end with LE setups. I have the same tq at 2500 as stock and alot more from there on up. The heads get all new valves installed with the package so no worries there. I have LE2 heads and around a 1.5 cam for emssion reasons. Heres the graph M6 through a Moser 12bolt. With an auto and stock rear you'd be pretty darn close to 400rwhp. Its all in the tuning.............

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...a/scan0002.jpg
>>>NO NEED TO QUOTE PICS!!!<<<
What did you do to gain the additional power from run 5 to run 6?
I am expecting my graph to look a lot like this.

Last edited by CRAGER; 07-18-2007 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by James Montigny
I sure hope he knows what he's doing man.
Let us know how it turns out.
I hope so too, but everyone says he is great. He has a 354 in a caprice that makes over 400Rwhp and it's his daily driver...That makes me more comfortable.

What do you think about the cam issue though? Is he right about the 2000-6200 range cam with a stock stall? He sounded like he knew what he was talking about to me...

Also, I showed him the specs on the Llyod Elliot port job and he said it's about the same, except my port job will be a little bigger since he is doing the intake as well...(we were looking at the LE2 specs with the LE1 cam)
Old 07-12-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya,Good luck

You can always send you're heads to Lloyd,when it's not as fast as you hoped.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He said he can port my heads and the intake for $300. What do you guys think?
Yeah $300 for porting, then new valves, springs, retainers, valvejob, planing
I hope you don't think you're walking out of there with heads ready to bolt on for $300
Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrd1972
What did you do to gain the additional power from run 5 to run 6?
I am expecting my graph to look a lot like this.
I changed plugs from Autolite 104 to the XP104's and focused on getting the A/F perfected. The dip at 3700 in both the tq and hp was a rich spot same at 5000 and I'm only talking .3 change but it sure made a difference.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

If he does good work, then go for it, regardless of what everyone thinks. Just make sure you get the valvetrain to go with it all. 300 sound low for all that, but I assume he's just doing the port work for that price?

It isn't always how much you flow, it about how it flows.

The last head (import engine) I had ported I went to a no name guy, tuned out the guy knew his stuff and did all the porting on a flow bench. I made more power with those heads than I ever did going with another shop well known for their work. It flowed about 3% less than the previous head, but made nearly 10-15% more usable power for my application.

Now, this is just my experience and from what it looks like Lloyd has it down to an exact science for the LT1, which is a great benefit for people without a local guy they can trust. If he were closer to me, I'd send him my business no questions asked. I just believe it makes it easier on me when I go local as much as possible to help these guys out because they are always there when I need them. If I have problems, they take care of me that day. I don't have to break it down, send it out, wait for a diagnosis or repair.

Guess it is just a "perk" of living in a sprawling city.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Another satisfied LE2 owner here. Did all the supporting mods, but my 4.10's are hurting me a bit, plus I think my engine is a little tired, who knows. #'s in sig.

A friend of mine put down 423 rwhp through a 9" with 3.73's. I ran the 12.64 witha missfire, but Im afraid that if I go back now, the 10 bolt will not like me.

Car pulls insanely all the way to the top of the rpm range, or rather as far as Im willing to pull it to. Really fun car to drive...

I'd go through Lloyd again if I had to do it again.

and a quick walk around...
http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...t=6f78b775.flv
Old 07-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flame
Yeah $300 for porting, then new valves, springs, retainers, valvejob, planing
I hope you don't think you're walking out of there with heads ready to bolt on for $300
Your right, I was just giving you the price for the port job (including a valvejob). He is going to get me some bigger valves through his company and a part # for the springs. I'll also have to get the retainers. Also, I'm going to need all new bolts and gaskets. There still is a lot more money I need to spend, I wasn't saying everything was going to be $300...

I'm also going to be getting a double roller timing chain. I need new pushrods as well. I'm still not sure what kind of rockers I'll need. I'm not sure if I'll need to replace thoughs...If so, I guess I'll get some 1.6's...
Old 07-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sandman2100
If he does good work, then go for it, regardless of what everyone thinks. Just make sure you get the valvetrain to go with it all. 300 sound low for all that, but I assume he's just doing the port work for that price?

It isn't always how much you flow, it about how it flows.

The last head (import engine) I had ported I went to a no name guy, tuned out the guy knew his stuff and did all the porting on a flow bench. I made more power with those heads than I ever did going with another shop well known for their work. It flowed about 3% less than the previous head, but made nearly 10-15% more usable power for my application.

Now, this is just my experience and from what it looks like Lloyd has it down to an exact science for the LT1, which is a great benefit for people without a local guy they can trust. If he were closer to me, I'd send him my business no questions asked. I just believe it makes it easier on me when I go local as much as possible to help these guys out because they are always there when I need them. If I have problems, they take care of me that day. I don't have to break it down, send it out, wait for a diagnosis or repair.

Guess it is just a "perk" of living in a sprawling city.
That's also how I see it. If the car doesn't perform like I expect it too, I can always go back and he is a friend of mine...It's easier this way, instead of going through the hassel sending my heads away and waiting 3 weeks without a car...
Old 07-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Before and after LE2, and before the 383.

Last edited by OrangeLt1; 07-13-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell me what you think. This is the LE3 kit on my 396 that will soon be done. 2 weeks and counting. Thanks Lloyd. Gonna show these boys what you can do.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

I guess I'm the only unhappy LE customer out there. My spring height was all over the place (1.75-1.80" when they should have all been 1.75") and some of my guides were trashed in 3000 miles. Some were perfectly fine while otheres were toast so I doubt it was geometry that did it but who knows. I'll know for sure when the head place I sent them to takes them apart and finds out whats wrong with them. It sounds like my case was an isolated incident though.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

I'll let everyone know the outcome. 2 weeks and counting.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:54 AM
sbs
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I guess I'm the only unhappy LE customer out there. My spring height was all over the place (1.75-1.80" when they should have all been 1.75") and some of my guides were trashed in 3000 miles. Some were perfectly fine while otheres were toast so I doubt it was geometry that did it but who knows. I'll know for sure when the head place I sent them to takes them apart and finds out whats wrong with them. It sounds like my case was an isolated incident though.
Before anyone puts too much faith in this review, go over to camaroz28.com and check out his past threads. Same username.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sbs
Before anyone puts too much faith in this review, go over to camaroz28.com and check out his past threads. Same username.
And what exactly does that mean? I love how people are already trying to discredit me I guess its my fault that the springs weren't installed at the right height, and the TB bores on my intake manifold weren't opened up enought when I had it ported either. I'm waiting to hear what caused the valve guide wear before I place any blame on that too. The bottom line is I'm not happy with the quality of work done, so I took my buisiness somewhere else. Like I said it sounds more like an isolated incident to me since I don't see any bad posts about LE so who knows.

Last edited by speed_demon24; 07-20-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

LE3 pure sweetness

Quick Reply: LE2 package, or get them ported elsewhere?