LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Turbo LT1's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo LT1's?

Anyone here running a Turbo LT1? I am about to start on my remote mount setup. I know STS says keep the stock exhaust manifolds and exhaust, anyone running one with headers, ORY, and custom piping?

Cap'n
Old 07-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

non-coherent, profane response deleted. You have already been warned once for posting a **** link.

Last edited by JasonShort; 07-23-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:16 PM

You've never really owned a turbo car before have you?

Cap'n
Old 07-22-2007, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1drifter
Anyone here running a Turbo LT1? I am about to start on my remote mount setup. I know STS says keep the stock exhaust manifolds and exhaust, anyone running one with headers, ORY, and custom piping?

Cap'n
STS suggests using the factory manifolds because of the location of the turbo so far back, and the need for as much heat and exhaust pressure as possible. Which is basically one of the key parts of building a proper turbo setup.

Originally Posted by speedylexus2006
Supercharger Is Better **** That Turbo Boost Crap Bolt On And Ready Anytime Of Day
Thank you for the profoundly intelligent response to the post.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer

Thank you for the profoundly intelligent response to the post.
lol

yeah a turbo car is so much fun to drive
Old 07-22-2007, 10:03 PM

Yeah I have a nice T04 62-1 sitting on my computer desk staring at me every night. I was wondering how much horsepower the factory fuel is good for? What is the next step in upgrading the fuel system? pump, injectors, FPR?
Old 07-22-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a good question, teezer. When I did mine a few years ago, I went ahead and did the pump and the injectors because STS told me to do so.
And I have stock manifolds, so I can't help you, LT1drifter. Best of luck.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Stock exhaust on my STS setup too.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:01 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you planned on turbo I'd personally skip the STS system. They're inefficient and require excessive back pressure to work ideally. I'd just stick it under the hood if you could. Check out the forced induction section. There's a few mixed in there. You just have to look a little harder.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:36 AM

I'd rather do a big single mounted up front, but, I can't find many manifold setup's for it, I am debating just buying a set of headers, flipping them, maiking a crossover pipe, and mount it in the front.

Cap'n
Old 07-23-2007, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

The STS kit seems like a really cool idea to me, best of luck
Old 07-23-2007, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

I'd rather do a big single mounted up front, but, I can't find many manifold setup's for it, I am debating just buying a set of headers, flipping them, maiking a crossover pipe, and mount it in the front.

Cap'n
Summit sells a S-10 V8 conversion shorty header that has been flipped before and used for a single turbo setup under the hood. Do some digging in the forced induction section, there should be a couple threads about it.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 07-23-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cap'n
u can build your own remote mount turbo for a fraction of the cost of a sts
a62-1 tnetics with t3 flange would best suit your car.
reuse most of ur stock exhaust plumbing a single sided intercooler
u can use exhaust mild steel tubing for your intake.
best fueling method for less than psi would be a begi fmu, or a vortech 12:1 fmu. the begi has the rising rate port adjustable, it si not limited to 10:1
the most difficult part would be running the oil supply and return lines to the turbo, and thats really not that hard, ther is areally good scavenge pump
that i ahve used on remote mount systems,
on one of the systems i built for a friend, we reused his stock 1le elbow and
k&n cai intake plenum. has held up really good with up to 12 psi and
the afr is pretty stable thru out the curve, average of 12:1 or richer.
it looks like any other cai lt1 till the turbo screams
Old 07-23-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

there is a guy here in Orlando that goes to my school with a rear mount turbo LT1 M6 T/A i hear he runs mid 12's but i never seen him run it, and i dont know what other mods he has. i always thought the turbo kits were very expensive but OMG that sound is to die for. there is also another LT1 M6 T/A at my school with a 150 shot im pretty sure the 150 shot will outperform the turbo, but thats comparing apples to oranges. either way i would give my right arm for either setup on my stock LT1.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks Hoss
Old 07-26-2007, 05:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
If you planned on turbo I'd personally skip the STS system. They're inefficient and require excessive back pressure to work ideally. I'd just stick it under the hood if you could. Check out the forced induction section. There's a few mixed in there. You just have to look a little harder.
Wow, i can't believe still the negativity on the STS. Well to first answer your question, i'm going to be running Hooker LT's and the hooker y pipe and mandrel 3" pipe and i'm getting it all coated in jethot 2000. Jethot explained to me that it has great heat retention. Sts agreed with me but still suggest using the factory stuff. I like the header setup, easier to work on the car.... I was hit head on a few months ago and the 97SS is in the shop.At the same time i'm having the kit installed with the water meth and the fmic from trt turbo. The turbo is the 67q and the housing is getting coated with sterling silver. I have ridden in a few f bodies with both front and rear turbos and really to be honest, the front mount reacted a little faster but the sts kept up with it. Also another thing i considered, the front mount setup is expensive. And also not to mention very cramped under the hood. just to work on the engine or anything in there is a big hassle. Also heat buildup is another problem also. If you're going to race your car on the track, well maybe the front mount is the way to go. On the other hand which helped me decide was the easy factor. It looks easy to install, and i got mine used for under $3k with the turbo and water meth setup. but i plan on using it mostly on the street with a/c. I will take it down the 1320 some and autocross but mostly for street use. if you get a chance, find someone with a setup sts on their car and find a front mount f body and see what you think. You may be surprised as well as these other people who have never taken a ride in one. But like anything else search for the info and see what appeals to you. Again when i get mine done i'll post my results and go after that new smart a$$ cobra owner who lives down the street from me.......
Old 07-26-2007, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Hijack!

Any pro's/ cons running a supercharger instead of a turbo on the lt1?
I assume that turbo boost comes on at a lower rpm than a supercharger, but, will an open exaust negate this slight loss?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Actually the opposite,turbo boost comes later,supercharger comes early. Turbo uses exhaust to work so generally gas mileage stays good when you're not boostin.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

I thought it different. I thought peak boost from a supercharger came on right before rev limit, as its boost is directly related to engine rpms, being driven by the belt.

Also, working with diesels quite often, Peak boost usually comes on around 12-1600 rpm in the bigger trucks, and between 2-4k for the powerstroke fords..

Last edited by Smokeshow_2006; 07-26-2007 at 12:32 PM. Reason: More info.. again

Quick Reply: Turbo LT1's?