LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Heres the diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heres the diagnosis

Took my Lt1 to a high performance shop for my constant popping and sluggish driving the owner thinks it is the opti or more specifically the dowel is off, what i am thinking and the guy agrees with me is that the gears that the dowel goes into in the timing cover is chewed up and timing is all off. I doubt it is the opti because i just put on a whole new opti, so chances are the opti is still good but i need a new timing cover, depending on the price im probably going to have them do it because i am tired of dealing with it. But if i were to do it on my own how hard is it to replace a timing cover?

The guy is running a diagnosis on the computer to make sure what the backfires are from, but what he was saying makes sense and it was something i was suspecting.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

when you put the new opti on did you have to force it in or did it just slide in
Old 07-27-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dangalla
when you put the new opti on did you have to force it in or did it just slide in
well first i removed the dowel from the opti and i aligned it up with the timing cover, then i marked both the dowel and timing cover. I removed the dowel and put it back into the opti then i slide the whole thing back on lining up the marks. Everything seemed to slide in, but the problem is the gears might have been chewed up on my previous opti install because the dowel was a pin or 2 off and the timing was way off. It seemed to me that when i was putting the dowel into the timing cover it seemed to fit in a couple of places but it fit the best where i ended up putting it, so the gears could be junk inside the timing cover.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

guy called and said that based on the diagnosis from their computer there is definetly something wrong with the spark through the ignition so he is going to take off the front end down to the timing cover, make sure it is all aligned and then put it back together.

Quick Reply: Heres the diagnosis