Old 08-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulling out the engine

can it be done from the top?
Old 08-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Yes it can be done from the top. That is the way I did mine. I pickup TPIS's Happy Hooker and it was really no harder than other motors I have pulled. I also pulled the transmission at the same time.It was a little scary on how high you have to get . Make sure you have someone else there helping , do not attempt on your own.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Pulled mine from the top. Definitely not as easy as from the bottom, but I didn't have the facilities at the time to drop it out the bottom. You have to pull the radiator. Pulling as much off of the front of the motor as you can helps. Having the intake off helps as well. And you must pull the hood off.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Teching In

I got away with just pulling the hood supports and propping the hood up with a 2x4 . If you can pull the balancer and hub it make it easier also. And pulling the trim around the wipers helps also but not completely nessecsary .
Old 08-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Teching In

what is "tpis happy hoooker"
Old 08-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Teching In

http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module...y=Happy+Hooker
Old 08-05-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

I used that one worked very trick
Old 08-05-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will need a mamoth lift and some hilly billy jackstands! I just did this yesterday...

Old 08-05-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ohhh and these will be going on in place of those god awful shorties..
Old 08-05-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check out the engine removal part
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post2685762
Old 08-05-2007, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Hey bud, DO YOURSELF A FAVORE as I bought that STUPID happy hooker myself and used it ONCE I'm saying this from not only a ONE TIME experience pulling the engine out, but from 6 times experience on 4 different camaros.
Listen, if you use the happy hooker you will MOST LIKELY ruin at least 2 of the 4 intake threads holes where the STUPID happy hooker hooks with it's stupid bolts, I don't know why I myself didn't think before I used it, here's what I mean:
DO YOU THINK THAT 4 SMALL *** BOLTS THAT ARE MADE TO HOLD YOUR FUEL RAILS WILL HOLD AN OVER 500 LBS OR WHATEVER WEIGHT YOU MIGHT HAVE? Well, I DO NOT think so but it took me ONCE to realize it. You might get away with the it the first time but the second time you left it I promise you, you'll ruin at least one hole.
PLEASE PLEASE stay away from that happy hooker, if you are stuborn and want to try it anyway I'll PAY YOU to take mine.
As for top or bottom, it was made to be taken of the bottom, 94Z/28M6 is right, follow what he said, you'll also need to take the fans , radiator and whatever is behind it , also that plastic trim for the wipers.
The best and EASIEST way is to do it from the bottom, if you live close by I'll help you out and with hand tools it'll be out in 2 hours top, just PLEASE don't use that shitty stupid *** happy hooker.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well sounds like someone used the wrong bolts to bolt his on. I have one, and pulled my motor and installed it with the Hooker. I helped a friend pull his and it was very easy also and the Hooker helped out alot. I let another friend use it over the weekend for his sons car. He is a mechanic and worked alone, but he had the motor out of the car and dissasembled down the the shortblock in under 8 hrs. And the hooker worked great for him. Just make sure you leave the tranny in the car, take off all the front accessories, and USE THE CORRECT BOLTS.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Teching In

that tool doesnt look very awsome like you guys say it is. but ive never used it so.....
Old 08-06-2007, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

CORRECT BOLTS !!!!! HEHEHEHEHE, NO OFFENSE but IT IS NOT, AND I SAY IT AGAIN : IT IS NNNNNOOOOTTTT the bolts, but it's the THREADS where the bolts go into.
Listen, I did use the hooker just like YOU did, they send you few different bolts when you buy it and believe me, I used the CORRECT BOLTS.
Now, you can use it and get lucky a couple of times but at some point your bolt treads will be ruined, I promise you, so if you used it and nothing happened, that doesn't mean the tool is GOOD Because I and few other people I know did use it and they said it's NOT good.
Also, if you or anyone else including myself use some common sense before using this tool you and I and anyone else will realize this:
Do you think the 4 fuel rail threads THAT ARE MADE TO HOLD THE RAIL DOWN ON THE INTAKE MANIFOLD by 4 small bolts COULD hold an LT1 350 weight? go ahead, open the hood and take your fuel rails off, look at the hols for the bolts and tell me if it makes any sense to you to use them to lift the engine up. If you think it'k ok then you need to buy a shop manual and check how much an LT1 weights !!
When you have a project like that you wanna think about SAFETY before LUCK, if you give me your E.mail I'll actually send you a picture showing a piece if the intake around the bolt thread BROKEN OFF because of using that UNHAPPY hooker, lift it using a chain, don't lift it using a 4 small tiny bolts because the bolts might stay in ok shape, but the TREADS won't.
I can also send you a picture of the 4 bolts, look at them and tell me if it makes any sense to you to use them to lift an LT1!!! This happy hooker might be ok to use on a stupid Civic/Celica/Neon's engine, them 1.6 or 1.8 litter engines that their weight equal to your nike shoes, or that type of small engines, not an LT1.
No offense please, I don't mean to insult anyone here, I just hate to see someone goes through a problem that I did without trying to stop him from making the same mistake.
SAFETY before LUCK please.

Last edited by mybluez28echoes; 08-06-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

I have used the happy hooker many times with no problem also, but I was also concerned about possibily stripping the threads in the intake manifold. The bolt size is not the problem it is the thread pitch used in the aluminum. After I took my engine out the first time, I helicoiled all the fuel rail bolt holes in the intake just as a percaution. It was easy and cheap insurance as the helicoil will make it a stronger joint. I have hung an engine by it at least six other times with no problem. It does make it easier to get the engine out the top than just using chains or a traditional engine leveler.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

"I helicoiled all the fuel rail bolt holes in the intake just as a percaution" , very good point, never thought about it, if I would have done that I would have saved the problems I went through I guess, but happy hooker doesn't tell you to do that, smart move bud. I still think it should be taken off the bottom if you got the right tools to lift the car high enough and place the engine on a good pallet.
HOWEVER, what do you have to say about the whole piece that broke off my intake? It's just still not a good idea in my opinion to lift it using these 4 threads, it's more luck than safety in my opinion.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your not happy with it, send it to me...LOL I could always use another.

Search this Thread