LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Limit of HP on a stock LT1

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Limit of HP on a stock LT1

With a stock LT1, what would be the max possible safe HP out of a supercharged car?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not the HP so much as it is the boost. The LT1 already has pretty high compression for a sbc, so I'm not sure how much it can take. I think I've seen some people run 6 psi around safely.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Agreed. Most supercharger systems limit boost to 4-6 psi for these engines in stock form because of the high static compression ratio they have.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

My opinion is that if you really want to be safe, supercharging for a stock LT1 is just not a good idea. The high compression and the very thin ringland design of the pistons make for a poor choice for boost. On top of that most stock LT1's that your are going to be starting with nowadays are going to have some miles on them. If you go into it with the thought that you are going to be rebuilding the bottom end soon then go ahead. If you really can't afford to have the car down because of breakage then don't. I have been around many stock LT1s that were supercharged an none of them lasted very long. As for HP, from what I remember a 6# non intercooled blower and a stock LT1 (stock cam) would get in the 380-400 rwhp range, but it has been awhile.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're gonna build a boosted car, get real and do it right to begin with: low enough static compression to run big boost, make real power, and stay on the safe side. Forged parts built for boost. More cubes... why not? Tuning solution that lets you push it. Monitoring (WIDEBAND) to stay together. Fuel upgrades to keep it together.

Just slapping on a supercharger to a stock bottom end (and top end!) is, in my opinion, a waste of money, and not gonna give the results you want in the long run.

Quick Reply: Limit of HP on a stock LT1