LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Header Bolt Threads In Head Stripped

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header Bolt Threads In Head Stripped

Well heres the deal I'm in the process of rebuilding the motor on my car, just finished bolting on my LE2 heads. I was having a friend help with installing the header onto the head. I had the header in place and had him thread in the bolts. Now all the bolts threaded in but he didn't realize how easy the bolts were suppose to thread in so I'm assuming because the header didn't align right he forced two of the bolts in and messed up two of the threads in the head.

Now he didn't put the bolts all the way in but enough to mess up the first half of the threads I think.

Is it possible to maybe just re tap it with the head on the car? I'd really hate to rip the heads off after i just got them completely on.

Any advice would help.

Thanks.

,Nick
Old 08-14-2007, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tell him he gets to pull the head and fix the threads.

you might be able retap the threads, but its highly doubtful they would hold any useful torque. if he got the bolt half way in with it crossthreaded, the bolt holes are more than likely screwed.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couldn't hurt anything to run a tap through them. Try it with the heads on the motor in the car and see if it holds. If not you may have to get a heli coil.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some cutting oil and a properly sized tap, not oversized, see if you can save the threads, otherwise it needs to go to a machine shop. I wouldnt trust myself to try to drill a head while in the car. I know some tricks but it isnt a garuntee
Old 08-14-2007, 02:59 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You're screwed (LOL!)

You'll need to pull the head and heli-coil it. The tightness and heat that these bolts see dictates that all the threads be good. Once threads are torn up, there's no magic way to put them back.

When you're ready to try it again, use a better bolt that'll hang in there and is easier to install:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....45&postcount=6

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Header Bolt Threads In Head Stripped