LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LT1 swap

hope I'm not intruding with this since this is an LS1 forum but I'm having a hard time getting help elsewhere.

I have an 83 Trans Am with the anus of all gm's engines(LG4 305), but I just bought an LT1 that I was told was from a 95 Camaro, when I got there I knew it wasnt but then he said if was from a 95 Caprice, which sounded right since it had iron heads. I looked it over and the plugs looked good, oil good, and the casting numbers checked out as 94-96 5.7 LT1. So I went ahead and bought it. It had no accessories or even the bracket. But it did have the water pump and opti still intact so thats a good thing. Anyway let me get away from the gibberish.

I decided to verify exactly what I had before I start anything on the engine since I wanted to tear it down and at least check it out good, and at the least put new bearings in. So I was trying to find out the exact model year and figured I could do that with the ecm. I got the numbers and did some research and sure enough the guy didnt even know what he had. Turns out the setup is from a 96 OBDII Caprice. Now I have no frickin clue where to go from here. I was counting on OBDI so it would be easy to install and run and such, but with the OBDII I have no idea what to do. So should I sell the OBDII pcm and harness and start looking for an obd 1 setup, or would I be better off adapting the obd 2 system to my swap. I wont have any emissions, no trans sensors since its gonna be hooked to a T5(for now,t56 later), and basically just the bare minimum to make it operate properly. Also does anyone know where I could get a diagram of the OBDII 1996 LT1 harness so I can figure out exactly where everything goes. And how can I bypass all the stuff I cant use or wont be using? I thought about buying a new harness and a used obd 1 computer but the prices are just insane. And I dont even know if I can use an obd1 harness on the engine since it was made for obdII ?

I need to get this situation sorted out asap, since my car is just sitting due to major engine problems, and I am needing to get the LT1 dropped in and drivable.

i hate to do it because its just stupid and makes little sense but I am almost to the point I am gonna have to buy a carb intake for the engine just so I can get it running. But I'd hate to do that to an LT1. If that were my plan I woulda just got a gen 1 sbc. why have an lt1 if your gonna carb it...lol

sorry for the long post, but I am just flustered, and needing some really good and sound advice. I need to get through this the cheapest I possibly can. I have about 1500 dollars left to take care of all the small stuff, and still have to buy the acc. bracket, all the accessories, mounts, intake ducting, fuel pump, MAF(maybe, hoping to avoid it), and just a crap load of other misc. little bs that always seems to pop up while doing a swap, especially from a carbed non-cc to a late model fuel injected setup.

I will appreciate any and all info/advice given. And again sorry if I'm intruding. I've just always heard this was the place to go to find knowledgable people. I'm always hearing good stuff on other sites about this place so I figured I'd give it a shot.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get on LT1wiring.com the guy Dana there is a genious with LT1s. He will delete everything from your harness that you do not need, also he will delete everything you dont need out of the computer. I swapped my OBDII computer even up for a OBDI. Dana will also put a baseline tune on the computer. I think I paid $350 for everything I mentioned plus he offers his help for life. And he keeps a file of your car and what he has done to the harness and computer. That should help you out quite a bit. As for the brackets if you want to save money buy a AC delete kit and I made a power steering delete Idler. That way all you need is a alternator bracket. I think I may have the power steering pump off of my car. You will also have to change the fuel pump to a high pressure pump.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yea one more thing. You will need an LT1 radiator because of the reverse cooling.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:57 PM

would he also make needed repairs to my harness? Several connectors are missing, few wires hanging.

Also if I were to do that, I would want to make sure I have everything I need before I go through that expense. by the way the harness looks, I dont even see how I would hook up to a diagnostic connector, it doesnt have a port on it and oh hell, I am so frustrated with this damn thing. It would be nice if I could just get a damn schematic of the harness so I'd actually know what the hell I have and whats missing and all that. I'll try and post pics so you will know what I mean.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

impala wiring diagrams

its really not bad doing it yourself. i also have the engine harness pinouts that i got from the dealership which are a little easier to read. they are for a 96 fleetwood w/lt1, but its the same for the impala. if you have a number i can fax them to, pm me and i will
Old 08-24-2007, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by lt1mc
impala wiring diagrams

its really not bad doing it yourself. i also have the engine harness pinouts that i got from the dealership which are a little easier to read. they are for a 96 fleetwood w/lt1, but its the same for the impala. if you have a number i can fax them to, pm me and i will
I'm not sure how I could get to a fax machine. Is it possible for you to scan and email them to me. i have broadband so they wouldnt be a problem at all on my end. otherwise I'll have to figure something else out.

I did get lots of pics today, but I need to get to bed so I'll just post the two that show the connectors that i am most interested in knowing what are:
Attached Thumbnails LT1 swap-dsc00114-connector-circled-390x211.jpg   LT1 swap-dsc00120-connectors-circled390x295.jpg  
Old 08-24-2007, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

the one on the left, "what the hell is this" is for traction control. kill that **** and all of its wires. the one on the right im not positive about. if that is the plug that went to the firewall, a lot of the wires are for gauges and ac and such. the ones i could scan for you wont help you with those, they are only for the ecu plugs. check out that link i posted. they have wiring diagrams for every aspect of the car.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:22 PM

Thanks a bunch for all the help, its greatly appreciated. Cant wait for my new pcm to get here so I can get to work. Now I gotta sell the one I got with the engine. Hopefully I can recover what I paid. I was about to list it for sale here for 65 shipped but cant due to the rules, I dont wanna get in trouble or anything, so I listed it on a few other forums I am a member of. if it dont sell I guess it'll go for a trip on ebay.

Last edited by hgffrank; 08-24-2007 at 11:36 PM.