LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Vortec Distributor instead of Opti ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 03:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Vortec Distributor instead of Opti ??

For the guys with carb intakes...

Has anyone done this?? I have read about people talking about it but nothing about people using it..

For the guys that don't know the Vortec Trucks had a distributor with a built in Camshaft position sensor , just like our Opti's..

I know alot of the fast lt guys, use the MSD crank triggers, with msd low profile distributors.. But they are using after market engine management systems , like FAST or BIGSTUFF3. How are you guys running sequential fire on these setups? What are you using for a cam position sensor?

It seams to me if you could dial in the Camshaft Position Sensor with the rotor, on the Vortec distributor ,you could use it on the factory pcm?? Then , later on when horse power required it, you could upgrade to an after market engine management system with a crank trigger and conventional distributor.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:45 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, i was looking into something like this, for a factory LT1 it has a high and low signal from the opti. But as for it being helpful on a LT1 computer in any way i have come up with nothing. That after market systems have a cam sensor that must be utilized i believe. They come with it in the opti. I am still looking for allot of answers so i hope somone else can shed some more light.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the Vortec pcm supports over 7200rpms, might look into that and maybe use the whole system instead of just the distributor.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm the one who brought it up multiple times for Zone, since he's all pissed with his Opti and wanted to go old school.

I have a feeling it really would work, even with keeping the stock PCM. The coil, icm, plugins are all the same. At least on a 2000 (or was it 2002) Chev Xtreme S-10. That's when I commented to my friend how alike it is to our set up.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I checked into this years ago. The Vortec distributor does have the signals(Plural) we need to run the LT1 PCM.

The Vortec PCM has its own set of problems becuase of the injector set they use. You would be swapping one set of issues for another set.

Now I have not checked in a while but many were haveing a problem reving past the 5,800 or some thing like that. This was on Trucks converted to single plane intakes and standard injectors

Maybe this has changed I am not sure.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted to get rid of the opti since i have a single plane. But i didn't want to buy a FAST XFI to run a distributor. I was looking for something that would let me use my stock pcm for now.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roadtrip120
I wanted to get rid of the opti since i have a single plane. But i didn't want to buy a FAST XFI to run a distributor. I was looking for something that would let me use my stock pcm for now.
EDIS it then. If my Opti goes out, that's what I plan to do. $200 for everything you need, minus coil packs.

As for the Vortec dis, why not just use the stock LT1 PCM? Like I said, it uses the same coil and icm.

Quick Reply: Vortec Distributor instead of Opti ??