LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti Spark

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
here's the stock one on jegs http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...54883_-1_11191

and i see nowhere in the guys sig that he has an ls1. He has a stroked lt1 to a 396 and is spraying it w/ nitrous and backing it up w/ an automatic transmission
Yes, 1994 LS1 Formula project.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by cruzin94
and the gm one is 400 i could buy this one and put msd cap and rotor for 350 ...im not tryin to argue i apprecaite ur oppion cause all i want is a good opti but im just playin around with ideas i really dont want to do it twice
Can one prove this is an AC Delco optical though?
Old 09-25-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ohhh haha i didnt look down that far
Old 09-25-2007, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

i cant prove its a ac delco optical but he cant be advertising as it is and puttin the part number if it isnt (i dont think he can) and if this is the case he needs to be reported to ebay and im sure they will do somthing about it... all we need to no is if any one did buy from the guy and how it worked i think it will explain for its self
Old 09-25-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Veteran

If it's in fact an AC optical and a quality cap and rotor, I think it really shouldn't matter. However, he shouldn't advertise a whole AC unit when in fact it may only be 1/2 an AC.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Default Trying not to beat a dead horse...

I posted this on another forum:

This is for all you folks who try to go cheap on replacing your optispark…this was all on a car with less than 60k miles.

First Opti:

When I got my 97 Z28 this past April, the first things I did was do what would be a normal tune up, i.e., plugs, wires and filters. I noticed a small leak from my water pump dripping on the opti so I rush ordered an opti off the Internet for $200 that was supposedly a true AC/Delco unit. I installed it myself and it ran great but less than 300 miles later, it left me stranded 150 miles away from home. Was just gonna get it towed home but that was expensive. Unfortunately I took it to a dealer and they said it was the rotor and cap – replaced for $600!!!! I went to pick it up and it still wasn’t running right so I pitched a bitch and they refunded my money and I limped it back home. Bad situation but at least I got my money back.

Second Opti:

When I got it home, I took it to a local mechanic who said the "internet" opti was bad and the dealer screwed it up by putting the new cap and rotor on it. So, like an idiot, instead of replacing it myself, I let "mechanic" do it, along with trying to diagnose an overheating problem. When I went to pick it up, they had replaced the “Internet Opti” with a NAPA rebuilt opti. To make matters worse, the car was still overheating and the “mechanic” was running water all over the engine, INCLUDING the NAPA opti. In addition, now there was an oil leak from the front of the engine. I bitched about it, and made sure I got my “Internet Opti” back so I could send it back. I planned on taking it back to this mechanic for the oil leak but I wanted to get the overheating problem solved first.

Third Opti:

Got the overheating problem diagnosed and solved by another mechanic. Now the car isn’t overheating anymore (bad head gaskets) but while he was working on it, he noticed a slight miss. I told him about the opti problems and he said anything but the true AC/Delco opti was going to be junk. Less than 250 miles later, I’m stranded again. I got a replacement from the “Internet Opti” folks and I took it back to the GOOD mechanic. He confirmed the NAPA opti was bad, and was also the cause of my oil leak. He installed the second “Internet Opti” and found out that the plug on the unit was bad and that my "Internet Opti" wasn't a true AC/Delco unit, no matter what I was told. I said, WTF, just go get a NEW AC/Delco and put that on. No more oil leak, no more miss, but the real AC/Delco opti cost $400.

Lessons Learned:

1. I think if I had just spent the extra money on the REAL AC/Delco opti, I would have avoided a LOT of trouble and saved a LOT of money and grief.

2. Take your time and find a GOOD mechanic if you can’t do your own work.

3. For minor stuff, especially like an opti, I’m a better mechanic than a lot of the guys at the shop.

Again, so it you want to take a chance and save $200 and risk a huge towing bill, and risk having to spend money or time to replace it, have at it. Remember, this ain't no "fix by the side of the road" deal.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
I posted this on another forum:

This is for all you folks who try to go cheap on replacing your optispark…this was all on a car with less than 60k miles.

First Opti:

When I got my 97 Z28 this past April, the first things I did was do what would be a normal tune up, i.e., plugs, wires and filters. I noticed a small leak from my water pump dripping on the opti so I rush ordered an opti off the Internet for $200 that was supposedly a true AC/Delco unit. I installed it myself and it ran great but less than 300 miles later, it left me stranded 150 miles away from home. Was just gonna get it towed home but that was expensive. Unfortunately I took it to a dealer and they said it was the rotor and cap – replaced for $600!!!! I went to pick it up and it still wasn’t running right so I pitched a bitch and they refunded my money and I limped it back home. Bad situation but at least I got my money back.

Second Opti:

When I got it home, I took it to a local mechanic who said the "internet" opti was bad and the dealer screwed it up by putting the new cap and rotor on it. So, like an idiot, instead of replacing it myself, I let "mechanic" do it, along with trying to diagnose an overheating problem. When I went to pick it up, they had replaced the “Internet Opti” with a NAPA rebuilt opti. To make matters worse, the car was still overheating and the “mechanic” was running water all over the engine, INCLUDING the NAPA opti. In addition, now there was an oil leak from the front of the engine. I bitched about it, and made sure I got my “Internet Opti” back so I could send it back. I planned on taking it back to this mechanic for the oil leak but I wanted to get the overheating problem solved first.

Third Opti:

Got the overheating problem diagnosed and solved by another mechanic. Now the car isn’t overheating anymore (bad head gaskets) but while he was working on it, he noticed a slight miss. I told him about the opti problems and he said anything but the true AC/Delco opti was going to be junk. Less than 250 miles later, I’m stranded again. I got a replacement from the “Internet Opti” folks and I took it back to the GOOD mechanic. He confirmed the NAPA opti was bad, and was also the cause of my oil leak. He installed the second “Internet Opti” and found out that the plug on the unit was bad and that my "Internet Opti" wasn't a true AC/Delco unit, no matter what I was told. I said, WTF, just go get a NEW AC/Delco and put that on. No more oil leak, no more miss, but the real AC/Delco opti cost $400.

Lessons Learned:

1. I think if I had just spent the extra money on the REAL AC/Delco opti, I would have avoided a LOT of trouble and saved a LOT of money and grief.

2. Take your time and find a GOOD mechanic if you can’t do your own work.

3. For minor stuff, especially like an opti, I’m a better mechanic than a lot of the guys at the shop.

Again, so it you want to take a chance and save $200 and risk a huge towing bill, and risk having to spend money or time to replace it, have at it. Remember, this ain't no "fix by the side of the road" deal.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a real GM opti from jegs for 280$. Thats what I would recommend to everyone.

Do you know which head gasket was leaking? Mine blew a water jacket into the cylinder on the last cylinder on the drivers side.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AR15 guy
I got a real GM opti from jegs for 280$. Thats what I would recommend to everyone.

Do you know which head gasket was leaking? Mine blew a water jacket into the cylinder on the last cylinder on the drivers side.
Both were bad, but it was mainly same as yours, the last cylinder on the driver's side. Supposedly the O2 sensor going bad was a sign.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

i hate optis every thing about them, there expensivem they dont work that great and they are such a bitch to install i cant believe it i have been tearin down to repalce the opti and every thing in an lt1 is the stupidest design ..man ....srry im just kinda frustrated
Old 09-28-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

O.K., I have the opti in my hot little hands. I will guarantee you that it is not, repeat NOT, an AC Delco opti. The box (I admit, it has a large shipping label on it) does not indicate AC Delco anywhere on it.
The cap and the bottom of the optical unit, do not say AC Delco anywhere. Anything else I should look for? I do not have a huge issue taking it apart, if I can look for some AC Delco part number stamped somewhere.
Need a little guidance here, folks. If this guy is bogus, I want to be able to keep him from duping other forum members who do not investigate thoroughly enough prior to purchase.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Opti Spark