LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Pressure!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Density
How are you having trouble getting it on the spot?
It doesnt want to screw all the way in and then the part of the harness that is supposed to connect to it doesnt want to plug in now that its in the car and i cant really get a good look at it in that position..
Old 10-16-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

how many miles are on your motor.... i think its the belt actually i listened to it close today this morning then after work it just started doing it after i took my altanator off which involved playing with the belt so i'll let you know
Old 10-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Launching!

okay, i have this same problem then. i hear a similar knock on a cold start right after i put the car in motion, but it doesn't seem to really be hurting anything... so is this something that needs attention in the near future?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

I am truely sorry I just can not let this one pass.

HERES YOUR SIGN

I have done that before but it was in an old 78 POS Caprice with a worn 305. Motor kept going but it was running 0 pressure on idle for a few seconds cause it was low on oil. Didnt do that in 5 years with that car but things where going bad and I was stressed and forgot to add oil to it.

Originally Posted by mr_wizard
I had this problem too. Usually it would drop when I came to a stop, took off from a stop, or turned a corner. I think my problem was legit because I finally checked the oil after hearing faint knocking noises at random RPM's and it was nearly bone dry. The next day I romped on the gas (after putting oil in the motor) and I believe a bearing went out (still working on pulling the motor out to solve the issue), but a rod is bouncing around in the block no with a MUCH louder noise. This is what it was diagnosed as after an LT1 mechanic listened to it for a few seconds. So either the connecting rod bearing went out or connecting rod broke. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

The entire oil system is under pressure so if there is no pressure at the top of the motor there is no pressure at the bottom of the motor. There is only what a foot difference between the two locations oil isn't that heavy that it would make any difference. I am not trying to bust ***** here just give some insight into it.

If you have no pressure at the top end then you are losing it all on the bottom end due to worn bearings or your pump is bad or the screen clogged on it. Liquid is heavier then air but for all the more difference in height it will make no difference. What does a normal house water system run at 40 50 psi. Now you can pick a garden hose up 6 feet above ground and it will run just about as well as laying on the ground correct. Even if you cut the flow back to much less psi it will still flow well.

Good quality mechanical gauges are the way to go for a good idea of what is going on.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

i switched to pennsoil 20w50 w m1-111 filter and hot idle has been staying at 12psi so im just thinking the oil pump is going out... had m1 10w40 in it b4

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure!!