LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TT Turbo Kit

I was wondering if this kit would work. I was really debating on doing it and then buying all the other stuff I would need. I found d-port flanges. I could cut off the old flange on the headers and weld those on. Take gander at the routing of these headers. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0535%26fvi%3D1 and http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8443%26fvi%3D1
Old 10-19-2007, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

I like how that looks, but its probably going to be some work. I'm still considering doing the same thing, but I'm not a welder and its going to take alot of time for me to get around to experimenting with it. If you use that kit on an LT1, your going to have to reroute the alternator. What I want to do to make a turbo kit easier is relocate the alternator. Delete the air pump, and A/C. Remove the Power steering pump and install an electric power steering pump. This would mean you only have to deal with one front mount accessory "other than the water pump" the alternator. That leaves tons of room for turbo manifolds.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SpeedDensityZ
I was wondering if this kit would work. I was really debating on doing it and then buying all the other stuff I would need. I found d-port flanges. I could cut off the old flange on the headers and weld those on. Take gander at the routing of these headers. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0535%26fvi%3D1 and http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8443%26fvi%3D1

So if I was to make adapter flanges for the LT1 to the standard SBC square port, do you guys think there would be any demand for them? It wouldn't take much, and I could have them as soon as tomorrow, but I'm not going to waste my time if there would be some kind of issue that I'm not seeing, please speak up if you know of a reason this wouldn't be a good idea.

Other than that, you would be able to use any SBC header or turbo header for the GEN 1 cylinder heads on your LT1, no garantee you won't have fitment issues with your chassis, ect... But they would bolt up and have "ballmilled" ports for a smooth transition from the LT1 ports to the SBC square port headers.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SpeedDensityZ
BTW, those headers are made in China, polished turds. I am a fabricator and certified welder and you couldn't pay me enough to try to put a new flange on those junk headers... Garantee you'll hate life if you try it.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

that set up looks retarted with the filters coming out of the hood i would just find an sts set up and call it a day
Old 11-27-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

realquick is now talking about doing a twin turbo kit, you might pm about it.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been wondering, so does realquick make hot part kits then if you want one? I was just wondering cause at first I thought he was just randomly selling them, but if I can pay at anytime to have one built thats neat. I suppose I'm thinking of running a LT1 in the 92 I'm building down the road instead of a LS based motor.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I am awaiting a pm back from PSJ on becoming a sponsor, so hopefully I wilh hear back this week. We have communicated via PM's since thanksgiving, but I am still waiting for a $$quote.

Jon
Old 11-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Theres a reason that kit is so cheap, because the turbos are junk. Don't waste your money.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MC-MOTORSPORTS
So if I was to make adapter flanges for the LT1 to the standard SBC square port, do you guys think there would be any demand for them? It wouldn't take much, and I could have them as soon as tomorrow, but I'm not going to waste my time if there would be some kind of issue that I'm not seeing, please speak up if you know of a reason this wouldn't be a good idea.

Other than that, you would be able to use any SBC header or turbo header for the GEN 1 cylinder heads on your LT1, no garantee you won't have fitment issues with your chassis, ect... But they would bolt up and have "ballmilled" ports for a smooth transition from the LT1 ports to the SBC square port headers.

What do you guys think?
i have nelson racing engines 321 headers that are round port but i have the afr 215rr heads d port is it a must to have d port headers? If so what are the prices on the adapter flange you were refering too?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Its not necessary to have a D port... as long as the opening on the flange is bigger than the D port then you are fine.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by boonesjgsilverado
i have nelson racing engines 321 headers that are round port but i have the afr 215rr heads d port is it a must to have d port headers? If so what are the prices on the adapter flange you were refering too?
I'm not a sponsor so I'm not going to discuss price and availability, just wondering if there was a market or need for these.

When I overlay the CAD drawings for the 2 flanges, they may or may not seal off. You MIGHT be able to use a square port header on a LT1, but definatly not a LT1 on a square port.

It was just an idea, and I'm ASSuming there would be little need or interested in an adapter?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do a search on SSautochrome on thirdgen.org...they are basically junk, the headers crrack, the turbos are junk etc. I was told fab ur own.

Jay

Quick Reply: Twin turbo