LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Looking for head suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Looking for head suggestions

I recently got a great deal on a forged 383 LT1 shortblock and am looking for suggestions on which heads to run. The pistons are only -16cc dish, which would yield too high static compression ratio for FI. I calculated a cylinder chamber size of 65cc would put me at around 9.7:1, which would probably be decent to run 10-15 psi boost. The problem is that there are very few options for a chamber that size. Here are some options I can think of.

1) Un-ported AFR Eliminator heads with 65cc chamber. I want to know if real world performance matches the impressive flow numbers they publish on their site. I have been unable to find much information about real world performance.

2) Trickflow heads with chamber machined larger than standard 62cc. I asked AI about this, and they said it MAY be possible to get them to 65cc. I would also have them ported by AI if I go this route. This will be more expensive than the AFR's.

3) Switch to a larger dish piston. I don't want to do this because the rotating assembly has already been balanced, but it is an option. I could go with TFS or even ported stockers if I go this route.

Any other ideas?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We probably have the best LT heads for a 383, 200cc intake ports, killer intake midlift flow (which is what makes the most power), 65cc chambers right off the CNC, and best part of all they are CNC'd on the shelf. Let me know if we can be of service.

http://www.totalengineairflow.com/pr...gmhead/tfslt1/
Old 10-31-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are some serious flow numbers...especially on the exhaust side. I was looking into the LE2 setup, but I may be going in a different direction now. What kind of power numbers are you seeing when putting them on a stock motor with a cam comparable to the LE2 cam?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are some impressive numbers. I haven't heard of you guys before, but now you've got my interest. Do you have some dyno or track data to back up the impressive flow numbers?
Old 11-03-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TEA heads are badass. Dart also has some new aftermarket castings out that are as good if not better than the Trickflow heads, if you can find them.