LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

rear mounted turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear mounted turbo question

would having lt headers + an ory help or hinder a rear mounted turbo set up. im sort of concerned because with more area for the exhaust gas to flow, that means velocity would go down. unless im completely wrong. also, should i run a rear mounted set up without a cat because it would be obstruct flow?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't answer you question, but I do know that there is a lot of info on the STS website.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Teching In

I don't have a turbo and i'm just speaking from opinion, but i don't think LT's would be bad. matter of fact i think they would be better because of the exhaust scavenging capabilities. im not sure about the cat...may obstaruct flow creating turbo lag, but i don't think it would be enough you would notice. Personally i would go without. if it's an sts im pretty sure they accounted for this stuff. ive read before that you do want the same size piping throughout the system but i dont fully know if thats true for both sides of the turbo.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:09 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will lose spool time with aftermarket exhaust in most cases becuase it disipates heat as well as having other affects.

Most people that ive seen either have a nasty motor setup to compensate for the lag or they are running stock manifolds.

Tony.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

The problem with running LT on a rear mounted turbo is the loss of heat. If you have stainless or ceramic coated headers you can wrap them up to help retain some heat in the exhuast gases, this will help the tubo spool faster. But with a rear mount you would still get faster spool with stock manifolds. The problem with the cats is not obstruction, it's destruction. If the material in the cats start to blow out say good bye to the turbo.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

It is best to keep stock manifolds on all STS setups.

But IMHO I would never use one of the f-body rear mounts. For the cost of the kit I could do a front mount.