LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OBD1 to OBD2 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alexcoreas
Yup we sure are. I have a 95 and it has an obd2 , which is better for tuning? I hear obd1 and others say obd2?
If your 95 has OBDII, then someone did the conversion. Or perhaps you're puzzled about the OBDII ALDL under the dash (95-specific, 16-pin D-shape). 95s use an OBDII connector but retain OBDI diagnostics.

OBDI tuning is cheaper than OBDII and is much less finicky.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I'm puzzled Bc its exactly what u said. It has an obd2 connection. So which is it Bc I plugged an obd2 to check for codes nothing pops up. What do I do?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
If your 95 has OBDII, then someone did the conversion. Or perhaps you're puzzled about the OBDII ALDL under the dash (95-specific, 16-pin D-shape). 95s use an OBDII connector but retain OBDI diagnostics.

OBDI tuning is cheaper than OBDII and is much less finicky.
Yea I'm puzzled Bc its exactly what u said. It has an obd2 connection. So which is it Bc I plugged an obd2 to check for codes nothing pops up. What do I do?
Read again champ.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

O, but I plugged in the obd2 scanner and nothing popped up. Does this mean nothing is wrong?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why go to OBDII anyway?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

No I don't I was looking for older post to read upon, and this is what I found. So this is what I got from above I have an obd1 with an obd2 slot? Am I correct? So being that I have an obd1 how can I run a diagnosis? Bc the thing doesn't show codes
Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gregrob
You need to check out Tunerpro RT V5 Beta. It works with LT1's now and has built in data logging. Much better than free scan, fully customizable. You can actually make it show more data than datamaster. No way am I paying for datamaster now that I have this.

I'm with gregrob on this.. unless you want programming now and dont care to learn...

i'm liking the looks of tunerpro rt v5 beta very much.. made me a custom grey dashboard, actually modified gregrobs nightdash, and changed some stuff to my liking... i had the aldl cable and freescan, tunerpro blows it away. i have no need to go to obd2 being i've got this tunerpro rt v5 beta..

its very interesting and fun to fiddle with.. i have already pulled my stock program out of my pcm and saved duplicate copies, and did some basic programming with it such as deleting egr, changing rev limiter, deleted speed limiter, changed fans to come on at 185 and 190 for the 160deg thermostat. also changed my main line pressure... next i'm going to work on the timing and fueling, and shift points..
Old 07-18-2010, 09:23 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One last time:

1) '95 models use the OBD2 style connector. It's still OBD1. Not OBD1 1/2, they are OBD1. They do not have the Class2 data wire, so like Ellis said you need to add that wire. My '95 had it to the connector behind the passenger side kick panel, just needed extended to the ALDL.

Is that a recent photo Ellis?

2) The OBD2 Tunercat software was not sold to JET. They sold JET a version, but it's best to go to Tunercat and buy from them. No licensing/cable credit bullshit. Buy the needed definition file one time and tune ten thousand or more cars with it if you want, no additional charge. I use Tunercat OBD2 for everythng I can. It's not as dumbed down as HPTuners or EFILive, so may be harder for a novice to use.

3) The crank position sensor and reluctor in the timing cover is for miss-fire detection only. Has nothing at all to do with it running.

4) Only a PCM needed. No knock sensor. Simply shut the ESC codes. It will function perfectly, just won't pass the PCM's function test. You will still have normal knock retard. Been proven endlessly. If a knock sensor makes you feel better, buy one.

5) LT1Edit OBD2 will tune them also. I think they also have a scanner, but I'm not sure.

Good luck, Ed
Old 07-19-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is this kit what I need in order to tune my car? I don't get how it tunes it like the tuners at a dyno? Can sumone tell me how this works please like I said tuners here in Cali are hard to find. Please shine the light. http://www.tunercat.com/cables/lt1prokit.html
Old 07-20-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Is this kit what I need in order to tune my car? I don't get how it tunes it like the tuners at a dyno? Can sumone tell me how this works please like I said tuners here in Cali are hard to find. Please shine the light. http://www.tunercat.com/cables/lt1prokit.html
Do not attempt to tune the car yourself using Tunercat. It is not for the beginner. Your best bet is to get a mail-order tune for starters. You are on the right track with the cable though. Look up www.akmcables.com as well.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay got it.but ive read people thread all over the forum about cars running rich? Ill give it a try as a lot of people are satisfied. Pcmforless right? Hows madz28? Which do u recommend bro?
Old 07-20-2010, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've been using PCMforless.com for 10 years now since I've owned my car. Some people don't like him, others do. There are other choices - I suggest you do a quick search, read some reviews, and draw your own conclusions.

FWIW, Bryan personally tuned my car on the dyno and got the numbers you see. I'm a happy customer.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay bro I trust you. I hear great things, how much was ur advance induction setup 383. Should I dump my opti for the coil pack ls1 style. Ur personal opinion
Old 07-20-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Okay bro I trust you. I hear great things, how much was ur advance induction setup 383. Should I dump my opti for the coil pack ls1 style. Ur personal opinion
How much?

My bill from AI was around $3000, the short-block was $4000, and all the bolt-ons plus tuning was around $2000. Not including the required transmission, converter, 9" rear, etc. You do the math.

I'm running a stock AC Delco optispark close to 7,000rpm on an MSD Blaster coil (no aftermarket ignition such as 6AL) with zero problems.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I have the acdelco no problem either with an msd blaster coil, I'm looking into building a 383 the shop by my house. Perfectengine.com aka perfect engine is charging me 3 grand for everything then I want to send my manifold and heads to Lloyd Elliot with a cam. I don't plan on racing my car yet down the years sure,I just don't want a cam that requires me to spin about 6000 . Your a lot of help bro appreciate it thanks

Quick Reply: OBD1 to OBD2 conversion