LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help! Knock after opti install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! Knock after opti install?

Ok so i finished putting my opti in and it works fine. starts up and everything, but as soon as you touch the throttle it knocks. It sounds like its coming from the drivers side valve train (head). It only knocks when you hit the throttle. It revs up and everything. Doesn't backfire or anything. Im thinking i messed up a rocker or something when the opti **** on me on the highway. I was cruisin and it started to die and almost backfire and spuddered until it completely died. Im going to take the valve cover off after work and check it out and maybe adjust my valves/rockers. Does anybody have any insight on this? Any info would help.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

anyone know what would cause this knocking sound??
Old 11-29-2007, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Ok yesterday i took the valve cover off of the drivers side becuase thats where it sounded like it was coming from and saw nothing wrong. I even ran it with the cover off and everything looks good there. It only makes the knocking sound the second u hit the throttle. I took it for a ride around the neighborhood and it will just go with out hitting the gas. As soon as u touch it it makes that sound and wants to die and surges for a second. I dont want to make matters worse by driving it like this. It idles rough in gear. When its in park it idles alright but not normal after about 20-30 seconds it will die. Could i have messed up a valve???? Is there anyway to check with out pulling the head off? Someone please help. Thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

I haven't tore my car down to get into re-setting my opti timing, but it sounds like it could be hellafied advanced, to the point where you are ignting much before TDC. This can cause the car to just be in a 'revved up' state going on its own, as the motor usually runs faster as you set the initial higher.

Any throttle input can cause a detonation/knocking noise if too advanced.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

the opti only goes on one way and i am 100% sure i put it on right. I lined up the key way on the splines with the key way to the cam.
What do you mean by "re-setting the opti timing"?? This sounds like it could be possible but doesn't the computer control the timing? How would it be too advanced??
This is driving me crazy...
Old 11-29-2007, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

There has to be a way to adjust base timing on a vehicle. Usually done by rotating the dizzy. Read up on how to adjust the timing on an opticar.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

the computer controls it, there is no way. A custom tune but the car is stock and ran fine before the opti crapped out.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

ok heres another update, yesterday i started the car and it fired right up. i noticed the knocking sound got quieter but it still dies when u put it in gear and if u keep it going it just runs crappy. still makes the noise if u tap the throttle quickly. its not consistent it just does it as soon as u touch the throttle. Also when u put it in gear it wants to die. Could a valve be messed up?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove all your plugs and inspect them cylinder by cylinder. Make sure all your wires are on tight and they have plenty of dielectric grease on them. If everything checks out there, I would pull all your rockers and pushrods. Check for marks on the rockers indicating incorrect metal to metal contact. Roll the pushrods on a flat surface to check for one being bent.

If all else checks ok, could very well be a valve. If so, you're looking at pulling one or both heads to find the culprit.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also it may sound dumb but recheck that your plug wires are on correct. my buddy thought they just went in order and i laughed at him, but then felt bad.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonp31
Remove all your plugs and inspect them cylinder by cylinder. Make sure all your wires are on tight and they have plenty of dielectric grease on them. If everything checks out there, I would pull all your rockers and pushrods. Check for marks on the rockers indicating incorrect metal to metal contact. Roll the pushrods on a flat surface to check for one being bent.

If all else checks ok, could very well be a valve. If so, you're looking at pulling one or both heads to find the culprit.
Agreed,check all your wiring,make 100% sure every wire is plugged in correctly. Is the only thing you changed was the opti?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

i changed the icm as well because i thought maybe that was it when i was diagnosing the no start but it wasnt so i returned it and put my stock one back on. I started the car before i put the water pump and pulley on to make sure it ran but didnt let it run long because i wasnt sure if it was good to not have the crank pulley on while running. So i never heard the knocking sound, i shut it off after i knew it started.

I know ive had messed up wire orders before and usually it will run really bad. this seems to idle fine and rev up fine. Actually it revs up but a lil slower then normal. Now that i think of it i remember looking at the #7 plug wire and it had a pretty bad kink in it as soon as it came off the plug. didnt think anything of it bc it ran fine before.
So they may be on right but that one could be causing this.
I will check the wires tomorrow and let u guys know. thanks for the help!!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Ok still cant figure this out... The knock is predetonation i think. i think its an ignition problem.
My dad hooked up a SnapOn "Solus" scanner which gives live sensor data and everything. My car stays in open loop even after it gets warm. It was running for a while after it warms up. It had no codes stored at all. Nothing. The only thing he saw that was weird was an oil temp of -34 degrees?? does my car even have a oil temp sensor? theres none in the cluster. Other then the open loop and the oil temp there seems to be nothing wrong. Why would it be stuck in open loop?
Any input??
Old 12-26-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had the same problem. i put my opti in and they told me the sline type pin that goes from the opti into your motor would only go one way but it can be easily pushed in the wrong way but it took me forever to figure out! Does it crank ok?? Or does it crank different then before like the batteries low??
Old 12-26-2007, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

thats what im thinking, i payed very close attention when i put it on and i was sure it was on right but maybe i did mess it up. Just dont want to tear it down again to find out it was right.
As far as how it turns over, why do u ask?? I had a problem with the starter before hand i think my solenoid is going. Its been sitting alot so i thought maybe the battery was dieng anyway. It grinds sometimes too. But it does start up fine. It idles but not consistently. It like starts to stumble and then catches its self. Idles a little high.

I think i may have it off a spline!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i would just tear it back down i know it sux but an opti going bad wouldnt knock your valve train out of whack it sounds like ignition if its detonating or a timing knock which would be like i had and the reoson i asked how it cranked is because mine would like drag or crank weird like fast then slow and idle high just back-track what you done to eliminate that 1st and make sure your pin on your opti slides in easy and all your plug wires are in the right order and good luck.The inconsistant idleing and knockin definetly sounds exactly like the problem i had with my opti.

Last edited by snk-huntr; 12-27-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

yea its deff an ignition problem... im going to change my plugs and wires first. I already have them I just need some time to work on it.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

It was the damn opti crap!!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

was it the opti itself or the pin in wrong?
Old 12-30-2007, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

pin in wrong! I want everyone to know that it is possible to get it on and sit flush with out forcing it. That thing was really a bad design. So some advice for people in the future... BE VERY CAREFUL & PAY CLOSE ATTENTION. :-)

Quick Reply: Help! Knock after opti install?