LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 rebuild. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 rebuild. Suggestions?

I blew a headgasket and probably did some damage down under. The motor has 162k on it, which I decided it is time for a rebuild. My problem is I live in Germany and there isn't really any way to get my Computer reprogrammed here. I am going to have quite a time getting the block to a machine shop also.
What is a good rebuild kit to go with. Or should I order all the components individually. I would like to keep it as close to stock as I can so I do not have to do any reprogramming. What is the biggest cam I can get without reprogramming, and what is the biggest bore I can get without reprogramming?
Any suggestions for crank, rods, pistons and cam? I am going to do the heads myself. Will be my first attempt at porting.
I basicly need a list of what all needs replaced for the rebuild, I am not sure if the sensors need replaced either. I am on a budget so I want to replace the least amount of parts I can.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

With a 94 the reprograming is so cheap and easy, don't let that stop you. Get an ALDL cable and any of the tuners over here can email you programming you could upload yourself. When I first started I did not have a laptop so I had to get the desktop computer and car near eachother, I disassembled the desktop and put it together in the garage but if you can get the car near the window by the computer that works too, or a laptop is easiest but not necessary.

The only "kit" I would have recommended is not available anymore Ellwein Engines had some really nice kits but no longer offers them. All the parts are readily availible though.

Exactly what you want depends on what you want out of the car. The whole stock rotating assembly is pretty good, but if rebuilding pistons are likely to be replaced and a head gasket failure could have easily bent a rod. Take it apart and see what is actually damaged and we can go from there.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Summit Racing has decent rebuild kits at a fair price like this one:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

Eagle has reasonabley priced I-beam rods as a factory replacement. I would go ahead and get a tune, not hard and the power vs. price is wotrh it. Cam choice I believe is a personal choice, what do you want to do with the car? You have so mant choices to pick from if you retune it's really up to what you want to do. And you'll get an argument started real quick if you ask "whats the best cam for my engine"!

I agree with 96capricemgr on just get it apart and see what is damaged before buying all new parts.

Good Luck!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not looking to make massive horsepower. I live in Germany, so gas mileage is the main concern here. I can always get to the top speed when I want, so Im not worried about horsepower and acceleration. I want a motor with about 300hp and halfway decent on gas.

I am going to pull the motor this week and pull the heads first, that will probably tell me alot on what is wrong.
How can I tell if I bent a rod or busted a piston skirt without actually pulling the crank apart and pulling the pistons out?
Old 12-16-2007, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Look at the top of the pistons and cylinder walls for obvious damage. Then remove the oil pan and inspect as best you can for anything that doesn't look straight and/or unsual wearing. If you only blew a head gasket and immeadiatly stopped the engine you may be ok. The only way to really tell is to fully disassemble and have checked. At that point you might as well at least hone the cylinders and re-ring, new bearings, etc, (it would be stupid not to)! Most deffenatly have the heads resurfaced and check the cooling system to make sure there isn't another reason other than age, that caused the gasket to go. I know there are near 200K LT1's still on the road without a rebuild.

Quick Reply: LT1 rebuild. Suggestions?