LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT4 kit?

Just wondering where the best place to buy a LT4 kit? and maybe hear hear from some people who have done a LT1 - LT4 conversion and get some price quotes , thanks
Old 01-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Teching In

I think there were a few left from GMPP and some on Jegs if you really want to do it. If you are just looking for the power everyone is going to tell you to spend your money elsewhere on a heads and cam package for better results for less.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jared 3870
I think there were a few left from GMPP and some on Jegs if you really want to do it. If you are just looking for the power everyone is going to tell you to spend your money elsewhere on a heads and cam package for better results for less.
ok thanks for the info i was just looking at some head/cam combo's thanks
Old 01-10-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

YOu will make more power with a good heads cam combo, look into the LE packages
Old 01-10-2008, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteZ28
YOu will make more power with a good heads cam combo, look into the LE packages
looking into that, what else is needed if i get a heads/cam package?
Old 01-10-2008, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by formula38988
looking into that, what else is needed if i get a heads/cam package?
Depends on what you want. The LE heads packages are pretty cheap. So you could get a better intake manifold like the LT4 from edlebrock. Or some headers.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pntbll309
Depends on what you want. The LE heads packages are pretty cheap. So you could get a better intake manifold like the LT4 from edlebrock. Or some headers.
i have headers and full suspension already any internal work needed? an i am getting a new rear end for when i get my car out
Old 01-10-2008, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pntbll309
How do you define "better"?

I am not a Lloyd fan but since many of you are and many of you blindly recommend parts based on name. How about a link, the pits one of your mistakes against the other shall we.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....73&postcount=7

Should also be noted the Edelbrock LT1 intake requires some mods to fit stock heads or the heads need some slight work, so using an LT4 Edelbrock intake on LT1 heads would be less than well thought out.

LT4 intakes are NOT friggin upgrades either which the above post seems to think Edelbrock and LT4 were upgrades.
The GM LT4 intake is internally the same as the late LT1 intakes and to get it to fit LT1 heads you need to either machine the heads or RUIN the intake as an LT4 intake. Been covered a hundred times but the myth persists.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by formula38988
Just wondering where the best place to buy a LT4 kit? and maybe hear hear from some people who have done a LT1 - LT4 conversion and get some price quotes , thanks
The LT4 conversion is overrated and doesn't get you that much power. Have your stock heads ported by LE, AI, portPros, etc.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by infinitebird
The LT4 conversion is overrated and doesn't get you that much power. Have your stock heads ported , etc.
i have the lt4 conversion since 97 when i got my car so no worth the money that can be spent elsewhere like porting the stocker or aftermarkets if you follow my link you can see who did mine for my 396 being built and they are nice
Old 01-11-2008, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
How do you define "better"?

I am not a Lloyd fan but since many of you are and many of you blindly recommend parts based on name. How about a link, the pits one of your mistakes against the other shall we.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....73&postcount=7

Should also be noted the Edelbrock LT1 intake requires some mods to fit stock heads or the heads need some slight work, so using an LT4 Edelbrock intake on LT1 heads would be less than well thought out.

LT4 intakes are NOT friggin upgrades either which the above post seems to think Edelbrock and LT4 were upgrades.
The GM LT4 intake is internally the same as the late LT1 intakes and to get it to fit LT1 heads you need to either machine the heads or RUIN the intake as an LT4 intake. Been covered a hundred times but the myth persists.

Better meaning, they are cheaper and will net a higher gain than the LT4 kit would. The LT4 intake manifold over the LT1 manifold would make more power, and yes you do have to mod the heads to fit. But since they are being ported (since LE packages use your cores) they could work them on. The LT4 kit is a small cam, where the LE kits will have a more powerfull cam, which would net more power. The LT4 kit cost a lot more than an LE kit would cost, and net you less HP. Since the LTx based cars dont have a huge variety of intake manifolds to chose from, the LT4 tends to be the most common. Obviously it can handle a larger bore TB without being ported, and flows better than a stock mani. Its pretty common knowledge that the stock heads wont fit that manifold without work.

Quick Reply: LT4 kit?