LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

No oil to topend while priming(drill)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I did spin the crank a few times while priming, but I only ran the drill about a minute each pass. I'm going to give it another run tonight and let everyone know.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

For more troubleshooting ideas, you can pull out the rear most lifters and see if there is at least a river of oil flowing into the lifter galley. If so then the oil circuit seems to be complete but somthing must be clogging the lifters or the pushrods. I would expect the GM lifters to be filling with oil quickly and oil on the rockers too...
Karl
Old 01-17-2008, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Guys, I again tried priming last nights. This time I put a heater under the pan to help heat the oil and put a pressure gauge on the sending unit port. I'm getting 35lbs of pressure and ran the drill for 3 passes at 5 minutes each pass. Still nothing up through the pushrods.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Launching!

At this point I would say pull them back and soak them in oil over night. Then reinstall them and pour some oil over the rocker body so it seeps down the push rod and try again.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

What kind of priming tool are you using? To get oil to the lifer galley you need to use the correct one, otherwise you will just be splashing oil in the galley and you won't get any constant flow up there. Something like this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
What kind of priming tool are you using? To get oil to the lifer galley you need to use the correct one, otherwise you will just be splashing oil in the galley and you won't get any constant flow up there. Something like this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
Would that cause the probelm? I've been using a modded (took off the gear and shortened) old distributor and chucked up to that. I've used it on gen 1 SBCs before with no problem.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Someone has already said it best so I will just quote them
Actually........You do need the Priming tool "undercut" bushing or your pushrods will not get any oil. If you inspect the Oil Pump drive bore in the block you will see two holes coming in to it. That is an oil supply circuit. From the pressure side of the pump the oil comes out the hole closest to the rear of the block and goes around the "undercut" area around the driveshaft bushing and into the opposide hole which is the oil circuit that continues to your pushrods and cam bearings. Thats why the tool ,just like the oil pump driveshaft, has the undercut. The two larger diameters on the bushing and PDS seal the bore for pressureization of the circuit.
The reason i found this out because i was running my drill and getting only 35PSI and no oil to the lifters
I then noticed oil was just pouring out one of the two holes mentioned . You then can see that the other hole is the feed hole that continues on to the lifters/cam bearings.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
Someone has already said it best so I will just quote them
Wow, didn't know this. Ya learn something everyday! Thanks alot, I'm going to order me this tool.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does that one work? i have been looking for one and saw that one a week or two ago. under the application notes it says will not work for lt1 or lt4 motors.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It wouldn't if you had the intake manifold on. Otherwise it is no different tham amy other SBC
Old 01-19-2008, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Heres the one I ordered from summit. Few guys on the impala ss forum said they work great. I'll let you guys know monday eve.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...6&autoview=sku
Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Tool I ordered did the trick! Pumped right up through the pushrods and all. Thanks!

Quick Reply: No oil to topend while priming(drill)