LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt4 or machine mine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt4 or machine mine?

I've been trying to figure out which to do on my stock bottom end 95 z28. Should I get the lt1 heads ported and have larger valves installed or get lt4 heads and go from there. I have the hot cam kit in the car now( rockers, springs, cam) plus the lt4 timing chain, knock module and the rest of the normal stuff.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been an advocate for the hotcam kit for the budget minded/oriented people and for those who aren't looking to do much more than spruce their rides up.

However the LT4 conversion isn't worth the money. when you stack the two side by side you can have your stock heads ported and revalved which would flow much much higher, and have better springs and hardware put in and a new cam that would transform your car in one package and have money left to play with vs doing the LT4 conversion.

If you are trying to build a motor around a cam then you have done it backwards. The cam only has the potential of the heads, and when the head outflows the cam it loses it values. By upgrading your heads you are doing nothing to improve the HCK as it is. You would be spending several thousands of dollars for less than 40 rwhp. IMHO that money could be well spent somewhere else.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:15 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. Where I live no one drives our type of car and I get little pieces of info from what I read, shops around here (northern canada) bont have to much info. I just found this site a while ago and It totaly is helping me.
I bought the lt4 cam kit years ago and since then I know I goofed up. Well I got 1.6 rr's guess for my next combo.
I want advanced induction to do my heads but getting them across the border (duty) and shipping cost ($400) are gonna be crazy, still wanna do it though.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would call LLoyd Elliot. He works wonders with stock castings. He's not a sponsor here, so I can't post his site, but he's one of the best in the country.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
I would call LLoyd Elliot. He works wonders with stock castings. He's not a sponsor here, so I can't post his site, but he's one of the best in the country.
I thought he was a sponsor here now?
Old 01-24-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

port the stockers
Old 01-24-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Port the stockers and hang around here. You'll learn almost all you need to know, and if you don't, ask and someone will probably tell you

Quick Reply: lt4 or machine mine?