LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Ignition Idea???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like he’s using the Ford system simply to control the ignition. The Optispark distributor still needs to be used to tell the PCM what’s going on. He’s got two ignition control systems installed on one engine. Like infinitebird said, you’d need an aftermarket system to totally remove the Optispark

I have one ignition system on my engine. It is powered by EDIS8 and a Megasquirt ECM and the stock ECM is where it belongs, in the garbage.

Can the opti be reliable? Sure. But, a few guys running 9's with engines and optis that get tore down and serviced every few months or so is a bad example. Did I absolutely need to ditch the opti at my performance level? Nope. But, the reliability of the EDIS versus the opti is a no brainer. Not too mention I have in my total EDIS system less than the cost of one MSD opti. That alone sold me.

Caprice knows quite a bit. But, he tends to think he knows it all. There in lies the issue.

As for the Op, NO the MSD crank trigger kit will not work with the EDIS system, UNLESS you also run a MSD DIS4 ignition box. Then, yes you can use their crank trigger kit. But, without the MSD box, you absolutely must use the 36-1 tooth gear. http://www.diyautotune.com sells them for cheap and a sensor bracket is easy enough to make up.

Last edited by 383LT1S10; 02-25-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:19 AM
Staging Lane

I ditched the opti too. LIke 383LT1S10 said the opti can be reliable. I just never had luck with it. I run FAST XFI & XIM boxes.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

http://camaroz28.com/forums/showthre...=579997&page=2
Pay attention to post 42 and beyond.
Granted these are more aggressive cars than what most of us run, BUT allong with that goes a budget to be able tyo more easily afford an "upgrade" and I have seen a few of the guys who "upgraded" to things like the Delteq and MSD opti switch back to stock, guys with the budget to play at a much higher level than most of us.

I think you see a lot of guys stretch their budget for things like this and then since they spent what was a lot of money too them they convince themselves it was a great thing. When guys with big budgets are using stock parts it should make you think about why, often times it is because stock parts are quite good, they are afterall engineered to last a couple hundred thousand miles in many cases. Granted we use them hard but even so an opti base designed to run 200K if used hard and the life is cut in half is still 100K, seems good to me, and my experiance is that it will go longer.

Gator, my name is Dwayne if that helps, it is in my sig on most boards.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it

Quick Reply: LT1 Ignition Idea???