LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 nOOb, Hard start problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 nOOb, Hard start problems

the car was really hard to start after work today, i had to crank it for a bit, and when it started it had a miss at idle...i just bought it so i hope this car doesnt turn into a lemon

these are the codes it threw after it didnt want to start:

p0100---Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Malfunction

i checked the wiring and it looks like someone spliced in a piece of wire, just twisted it together and wrapped tape around it, im sure thats not helping it, and i think its the factory MAF, still says AC delco on it

p0300--Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

im thinking this may be related to the MAF

p0400--Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Malfunction

eh...no big deal, ill probably get a tune and get rid of it anyway

and one other one about 02 Sensor Inactivity...bank 1 sensor 2, so it would be the one behind the cat....no big deal either

will the MAF cause it to have a hard start?....the car runs good, but has a miss in the upper RPMs, im guessing this car has the original plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, as it still had the factory battery(142k miles), so i may change those just for the heck of it to see if they help.

another question, are the LS1 and LT1 MAFs the same?...
Old 02-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Launching!

OH yea, its a 1997 trans am, 142k miles
Old 02-19-2008, 06:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

HAHAHA. Fix your problems that you know of first, then tackle the starting problem... You can't narrow down one problem if you have 5 others.

lol... i just read you post again and it made me giggle.

Seriously. Fix known problems (they could be contributing to the starting problem) and then come back.

Oh... if it makes you feel any better (it wont), my car was hard starting right before the opti dizzy **** the bed. But you have far far too many problems to even begin pointing fingers.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

FYI getting a tune for the egr code will not help if you actually have a problem with the egr valve (like being stuck open or something).
Old 02-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Launching!

if i put longtubes on it, and just take off the EGR and tune it out it would get rid of it wouldnt it?

i didnt know if any of these contributed to the hard start problem, im planning on working on it this weekend if its nice...i priced a distributor "kit" cap,rotor, and some cover and it was $180(ouch) for a Borg Warner

are the LS1 and LT1 MAFs the same?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by durty
if i put longtubes on it, and just take off the EGR and tune it out it would get rid of it wouldnt it?

i didnt know if any of these contributed to the hard start problem, im planning on working on it this weekend if its nice...i priced a distributor "kit" cap,rotor, and some cover and it was $180(ouch) for a Borg Warner

are the LS1 and LT1 MAFs the same?
a cap and rotor will not fix a bad distributer... and its a $500 ouch to replace it

Unplug the maf (forcing the car to run in speed density). If it still does it... its probably not the maf.

Rear o2s need to be "deleated" in tune or have 02 sims.

And random missfires.... hmm... sounds like you really need to fix some things before you worry about how good it starts. lol
Old 02-19-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I have been dealing with the POS P0100 code since I got the car. I'm on my 3rd MAF and I see NO problems in the wiring to the MAF, but it runs fine so I have no idea what's up.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Launching!

ummm...if the distributor goes south, im putting a LSX in it, which is the plan anyway, guess ill leave it alone and just drive it.....it runs good now, its just kinda a pain to start, and the SES light is on....time to shove this 5.3 in it....
Old 02-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

durty the same exact thing is happening to me with all those codes minus the O2 thing. But my car is randomly shutting off, I'm not sure if it's the EGR or opti-spark
Old 02-21-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

sounds like the MAF to me since you had a MAF code. If the MAF is not working correctly that will cause all kinds of problems.

Quick Reply: LT1 nOOb, Hard start problems