LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Heads Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Heads Question

I have a couple questions for I'm asking for my step-dad. He bought a ported intake for his 30th Ann. Edition SS and was wondering a couple things.

First, are the stock LT1 heads aluminum or cast?

How much of a hp gain will you get if you port match the heads to a 58 mm LT4 ported intake and is it worth the work and money?

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

i think '94 and up are alum.... but i could be wrong
Old 03-13-2008, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

All F-body and Corvette LT-1 heads are aluminum. Where did he get the intake ported from? And it all depends on what he wants out of the car. If its a 30th SS I would leave the car alone and buy another lt-1 that is worthy of being modded. The SS isnt worthy and needs to stay stock lol. But if he insists in modding it, Lloyd Elliot, Advanced Induction, TEA, etc, etc, etc...can get you a good set of heads for the car. Ported stock castings are where its at these days.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Schweet97Z
All F-body and Corvette LT-1 heads are aluminum. Where did he get the intake ported from? And it all depends on what he wants out of the car. If its a 30th SS I would leave the car alone and buy another lt-1 that is worthy of being modded. The SS isnt worthy and needs to stay stock lol. But if he insists in modding it, Lloyd Elliot, Advanced Induction, TEA, etc, etc, etc...can get you a good set of heads for the car. Ported stock castings are where its at these days.
i thought '93 heads were iron
Old 03-13-2008, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by black383
i thought '93 heads were iron
Nope aluminum
Old 03-13-2008, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

And another thing, the LT-4 manifold wont be a direct fit to the LT-1 heads. He will have to get a set of LT-4's or do some persuading to get it to work.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The LT4 intake is NOT an upgrade over the LT1 intake and is you modify the LT4 intake to bolt to LT1 heads you effectively ruin it as an LT4 intake.

GIZMO was kind enough to share this picture. The extra material above the port seals to the taller port in the LT4 heads but the port in the intake is the same as those in the later LT1 intakes.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...1/DCP_1456.jpg

Everyone and their brother ASSumes the LT4 intake is an upgrade and a LOT of them have had the extra material wacked off to make them fit LT1 heads, like I said effectively ruining it as an LT4 intake.

Far as head material the b-bodies got iron heads as said the Vette and f-body got aluminum.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schweet97Z
He has a 2002 35th LE that only has 6,000 miles that is staying pretty close to stock, just little things like MAF sensor and little apperance things, so that is his more of a collector car. The 30th needed things done to it when he bought it, so it is the one that is getting modded. It still in good shape, just pretty much getting everything fixed to be like new.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The LT4 intake is NOT an upgrade over the LT1 intake and is you modify the LT4 intake to bolt to LT1 heads you effectively ruin it as an LT4 intake.

GIZMO was kind enough to share this picture. The extra material above the port seals to the taller port in the LT4 heads but the port in the intake is the same as those in the later LT1 intakes.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...1/DCP_1456.jpg

Everyone and their brother ASSumes the LT4 intake is an upgrade and a LOT of them have had the extra material wacked off to make them fit LT1 heads, like I said effectively ruining it as an LT4 intake.

Far as head material the b-bodies got iron heads as said the Vette and f-body got aluminum.
He bought a LT4 intake and is going to put it on. Are you saying that to make the intake an effective upgrade that he will need to get LT4 heads or have the LT1 heads ported out?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

a lt4 intake is a waste of money if used on lt1 heads. and is NOT an upgrade if used on lt1 heads. for the lt4 intake to be any kind of upgrade you have to use lt4 heads also. otherwise he is ruining an lt4 intake and wasting money.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97badass
a lt4 intake is a waste of money if used on lt1 heads. and is NOT an upgrade if used on lt1 heads. for the lt4 intake to be any kind of upgrade you have to use lt4 heads also. otherwise he is ruining an lt4 intake and wasting money.
Ok thanks I'll tell him.

Quick Reply: LT1 Heads Question