LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Running like junk!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running like junk!!

Well, I had gotten my old motor back together with some refreshed gaskets and what not. Got headers and opti from my brother when he tore his motor down. I got it started and it ran fine. Shut it off to finish some stuff up. Started it back up and ran fine for a couple seconds and than just started to run like absolute S***. Pulled the valve covers to adjust the rockers and seemed to help alittle. I also noticed that alot of the rockers were getting little to no oil. I know its getting plenty of pressure as some of them are just shooting and covering stuff with oil and the gauge reads 30-40psi. That seems a tad high. But, I figured the lifters had gone bad while sitting. So, I got some known good lifters, made sure I soaked them 24 hours in advance. Installed them. Got everything buttoned back up and started it. Samething as before, ran fine for a few and than started to run like crap again. I'm able to drive it, but it has absolutely no power and will not turn the tires over at all. Try to power break it and it wants to stall. I notice that when messing with the throttle, it stumbles when you first hit it and will scream like nothings wrong when it gets passed 3500rpm. Im not quite sure if its in the valvetrain setup or if possibly I have the opti one spline off causing this?? I know its not much to go off of and I don't really have the tools to test anything besides the old fashioned way of doing things such as testing for spark and what not. When its idling, sounds like it misses on one cylinder. But, give me some feedback.
Here's a vid of it running(don't mind the loud squealing when I move to the front, its the p/s pump):
http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...t=HPIM0802.flv

Last edited by jm93camaro; 03-31-2008 at 01:06 AM. Reason: video added
Old 03-20-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

double check and make sure the opti is on correctly...and make sure your spark plug wires are on correct too...not crossed...and double check the wires to make sure. and after you double check the wires....double check them again. and make sure your wires arent touching your headers too...very common for the wires to touch on headers and melting them and causing arcing
Old 03-20-2008, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

checked the wires five or six times as I have already did and done the wire cross thing when I first swapped opti's. I'm gonna try remounting the opti when I get a decent day. day.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

No one else has any input?
Old 03-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going through pretty much the same problem. My cars been in the shop for almost a week now. It's been scanned and overlooked in all the crutial areas and still can't find what the problem is. This all started when I changed the stock Throttle Body out to a 52mm. It ran like **** so I put the stock one back on thinking it was a p.o.s. t.b. but that wasn't the case. When I hear something from my guys at the shop I will give you some feedback with what was wrong.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

im thinking you should go get a set of ls7 lifters james and drop them in and see if that helps any.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Well, I don't have the funds right now, so, I'm just taking suggestions. But, am curious to see what becomes of elliots situation.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

video added
Old 03-31-2008, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Gonna try pulling the plugs and taking some vids of me driving it and controlling the throttle.