LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need some help/advice badly

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help/advice badly

Ok so i've been dealing with a problem on my '95 T/A......and I'm not having very much luck.

Ok so here's where it starts.

The car just started to cut out and die randomly, to begin it was after 20 minutes or so of driving. sometimes it would start right up and run for a bit until it decided to die again. and sometimes it wouldn't start for hours. It would just crank and hit on one or two cyl. every now and then. when it would die the fuel pressure would stay at 50 psi, and the RPMs would drop to 0 instantly just like turning the key off, or loosing power. And it got worse and worse. I swapped in a new ICM didn't fix it (so I returned it). the opti has MAYBE 2500 miles on it. tried putting a different coil on it (didn't fix it either). figured i'd try the quick and easy first.
Now by this time it barely starts at all, when it wants to, and usually ends abruptly by just dieing (when it does it's pig rich). And then won't start up again for a while. it got to where it wouldn't start at all anymore. I checked my plugs and of course they are fouled horrible, changed them, it'll start but has the same problem. So i hook up my MSD box and it actually seems to help it a bit (start better for a little while). I played with it for a while and fix a couple grounds on the drivers head to the frame, didn't change anything. I checked my ground on the passenger side of the block above the starter, it's just fine.

I went out to the car today for a bit it did the usual didn't want to start. I hooked up the MSD again and it fired up but hacked, coughed, and popped bad. Sounded like it was running on maybe 4 cyl. I shut it off and tried again about 20 minutes later. it fired up and still seemed to sputter some but not bad and then it died like usual just like turning the key off.

I didn't touch anything and just sat there and stared at it for a bit and then for some reason the injectors just started firing off. It wasn't running, the key was still in the on position. And the injectors were just popping off at random, wasn't in sync. long and short bursts. It would stop for a little bit, and then after 10-20 sec. it would start doing it again. I checked the plugs again and they are almost comletely fouled again and it maybe has ran for 5 minutes total since the last change.
How does that make any sense? The only thing that I can think of is a faulty PCM. Since I know the injectors are applied with the PCM applying ground to fire the poppet. So wouldn't that mean a bad circuit in the PCM?

Any and all help is appreciated THANK YOU!

Oh the car is a '95 T/A like stated earlier, 383 with a D1 if that might help.

Last edited by strkt_&_blwn; 03-22-2008 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Anyone?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea thats crazy do you have the pcm tuned for your mods.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if not try to borrow somes ones pcm and see if that helps.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

yes it's been tuned twice actually, once for the P1 blower and then again when i upgraded to the D1 blower.

Quick Reply: Need some help/advice badly