LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

coolant issues!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coolant issues!! HELP

My formula is pissing out coolant from a hose below the intake. Looks like it comes off the water pump. Its a small metal elbow and then a hose attached to it. It was a very small leak yesterday. So i removed the hose, repositioned it on the elbow and tightened the clamps down. This morning i made it 2 miles and the low coolant light was already on. Sure enough the same hose is leaking! NOw it is pushing out pretty strongly. Is the waterpump bad or maybe something blocking the flow somewhere?
Old 05-02-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is your thermostat housing and upper radiator hose. If the hose is bad, just go into a parts store and ask for the upper radiator hose. If the housing is leaking where it mates to the intake, then take it off and put some silicone on it. Might as well put a new thermostat in it too, and get a Fail Safe version, it's like $2 extra, but could save your engine if it breaks. Fail Safes stick open if they break, instead of sticking where ever they broke at, 1/2 open, or even closed (which is bad).
Old 05-02-2008, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

This is NOT the thermostat housing. I know that sits directly under the TB area. This is further down and is a smaller hose. A metal tube comes off the water pump and angles towards the driver side front wheel. it has a rubber hose attached and the hose goes down below the radiator.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Odds are you just have a tear in the hose where it clamps to the water pump. Pull the hose off, find the tear, cut off that section, clamp on a connector and new hose, clamp it to the water pump and you should be good to go. I would fix it fast, you don't want to keep pouring water onto the opti!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Odds are you just have a tear in the hose where it clamps to the water pump. Pull the hose off, find the tear, cut off that section, clamp on a connector and new hose, clamp it to the water pump and you should be good to go. I would fix it fast, you don't want to keep pouring water onto the opti!
Yea, that sounds about right.

And if it's not the Tstat housing, then it's not under the intake, it's on the front of the motor
Old 05-02-2008, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

well thats true, but its also below the intake as well. BUt whatever, just glad to get some help!
Old 05-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the hose leaking, or is the inlet elbow (that goes into the water pump) leaking? The inlet elbows can leak if they've been moved (to access bolts, etc...). No big deal, as they can be tapped back into place firmly with a soft mallet. Not a bad idea to add a little RTV sealant around them to ensure things keep dry. Remember, your Opti is underneath your water pump, and Opti's and water = $$$$$$
Old 05-02-2008, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had to replace that hose does it turn into metal a little ways down then back to rubber if so i just took a hose and cut out the metal part and replaced it with a rubber hose. make sure you bleed the air out of the system when done turn on the heater as well this gets all the coolant flowing.