LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can't break the LT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008 | 01:09 PM
On The Tree

LT1s are very good running engines! I think the only real problem is they are a bit low on oil pressure. When people install cams they do two things, raise cylinder pressure, and raise the RPM limiters. Combined that with low oil pressure kills the bearings. If LT1s had oil pressure say 20lbs @ idle and 50 in the upper RPMs I think they would last allot longer. Only other issue is that GM abandonded the LT1 for the LS1, so all the R+D went away.

As far as breaking them, people have just learned over the years what the limits of the stock piston and such are so now, not many people try to run a 175-200 shot, 9+lbs of boost on a stock bottom end or run the rev limter over 7,000. It cbecome more common knowledge when the average engine is gonna break when pushed too far and the LT1 limits.

So in the past few years, when people ask for advice, they get good advise, and that equal less post about broken piston and spun bearings. It still happens, it always will, every engine will react different, but the general rules apply.

LT1s have a bad rep mostly due to the opti, but it's just a distributor cap and rotor put in a bad place. listenig to people complain their opti died after years or xx miles, well, we use to change cap~n~rotor every year or two in standard distributors, we wouldn't expect them to last years and 100,000 miles did we?

As far as LT1s being out down - I think the people that say that and compare it to an LS1 tend to forget that GM kept supporting those motors after then came out. Anyone remember when the 1st LS1s came out and they were bending push rods, lifting the heads, snapping timing chains? If GM didn't address that there would allot more people happy to swap opti's every few years.

JB
Old 05-05-2008 | 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

heat killed my LT1. didn't really kill it but caused ring failure so I'm having it rebuilt to stop it from burning oil. that white smoke is a bitch plus a daily driver shouldn't have such a smelly exhaust.

a few years ago I cracked a piston somehow. have no idea how that happened. that was the first rebuild I ever did. internals were fully stock at the time.