LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Another exhaust question

Old 05-04-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another exhaust question

alright well since im finally done with school for the year and got some money for sellin my books back... im lookin to fix my rigged up exhaust... i currently have all stock piping with the converter cut out because it had a gaping hole in it, and in its place is a glasspack and then the stock muffler is replaced by a hooker muffler... yeah i know i flame myself for this, but it is this way because i was broke and didnt want it to sound like a total piece of ****, so it just sounds shitty now and not totally shitty lol... but what im thinking about doing is cutting that glasspack out, replacing it with a resonator from my friends' 04 gto, replacing the piping after the cat with all 3'' pipe, and putting a 3'' in 3'' out muffler in its place and running new tips... i would go with a catback exhaust, but i can get all stainless pipe that is mandrel bent for cheaper, and i really cant find a catback that satisfies me... the sound im looking for is something that is deep and good sounding... and i hate it when it cackles and wraps out and all that stuff... because every honky in our town with loud trucks sound that way lol... so do you think my idea would take care of my situation? another thing... i dont really care about hp numbers or anything like that right now because i dont do any racing or anything like that, and i just want my car to sound good and not loud and obnoxious, and right now it sounds ok, but it could sound a hell of a lot better... so give me some ideas... and i will eventually this summer get headers, so by that time i will be getting a new y pipe and will already have 3'' pipe, so ill be good in that aspect
but help me out please

if you want a shortened version... read here lol
my exhaust sounds shitty... has a glasspack in place of the cat and hooker muffler with stock piping
want it to sound deep and clean, but hate it when it cackles and wraps out and all that ****
need suggestions
thinking of getting 3'' pipe, replacing glasspack with a ls1 resonator that i have (have 2 of them), and putting 3'' in/out magnaflow or somethin in place
help!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would get LT headers and 3" true duals.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

my LM1 used to be very raspy and cackle until i got the pcm tuned. now it's smooth.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you want to get a new muffler that goes in the stock location then i would recommend spintech. has very little interior drone. seems quiet inside but just loud enough outside. i really like mine. it is not raspy at all. it has a very deep low idle. very muscular sounding while cruising. and has an evil unique sounding roar at WOT. i ran it with stock manifolds and no cat for about a month until i got my longtubes put on. it was still very deep with minimal rasp only a hint at around 3k when letting out of the throttle while revving it. this is due to the shitty stock manifolds we have. other than that it sounded great with manifolds and no cat and only that much better with longtubes. it is a 3"inlet/dual 3"outlet.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol so basically its gonna not sound how i want it to until i get headers and a tune is what i take this as... so i guess ill start workin on this lol
Old 05-05-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

you might could try a tune now with the stock manifolds, but it probably wont totally go away until you get headers. it sucks i know. but i that is the only time i noticed it was when i revved it. and it was just a split second. if you can put up with the hooker catback until you get headers, it sounds good with longtubes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another exhaust question