LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

over heating, thermostat's go bad this easy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008 | 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Default over heating, thermostat's go bad this easy?

so guys background on the car, just got it back from the shop a week ago, had blow the head gasket so i got that changed out and threw in a cam some 1.6RR's dual valve springs pushrods and new lifters. the car already had a CAI and under drive pullies and a 160* thermostat. the thermostat is only about 3 months old as it got changed a while back when i got a new water pump. so i had read a few threads and heard the radiator cap itself goes bad so i went and bought a safety one and put in on this morning. it was running good never even going above 180 (which it used to regularily) and i was honestly so surpirsed. the low coolant light hadnt come on either (which used to be a daily occurance). so i stop to go buy an energy drink and some cash. well i come back out start the car up and notice its a little over 180 now. so i think nothing of it really and keep driving to work. well i stop at a light and the temp is now nearing 210 and still rising and im thinking wtf why isnt it cooling down. so i start to pull over right as the low coolant light comes on and the check gauges light also comes on. so i stop and of coarse there is coolant now leaking out from what seems like the cap of the radiator, so i pop the safety release and let all the steam and pressure out.

could this be my thermostat sticking? i mean really? the thing is not even 4 months old! i swear if its not one thing its another with this damn car. dont get me wrong i love it, but id like to be able to drive it for more than a month without something going wrong.
Old 05-09-2008 | 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

This sounds like my story from about 4 years ago after they redid my heads they failed to mention my radiator was bad might want to have it checked out
Old 05-09-2008 | 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

really? alright thanks i will definitely have that checked out. the car just broke 100,xxx miles pretty recently so i hope my radiators not bad but that will be something to check thanks!

anyone else experience any problems like this and find another problem?
Old 05-09-2008 | 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

so i just spoke with my mechanic who did all the previous work and he said he replaced the thermostat when he did all the work so the thermostat is only like a week old and he said the radiator at the time they had it was fine and it pressure tested good.

i am stumped as to why this is happening. . . ? anyone?
Old 05-09-2008 | 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

I had that problem when I replaced the thermostat and it was because I had all kinds of air bubbles in the coolant. I drained it all then refilled it and was good to go.
Old 05-09-2008 | 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
so i just spoke with my mechanic who did all the previous work and he said he replaced the thermostat when he did all the work so the thermostat is only like a week old and he said the radiator at the time they had it was fine and it pressure tested good.

i am stumped as to why this is happening. . . ? anyone?
So if the mechanic put in a new thermostat, they most likely put in a stock
spec unit (180*), unless you explicitly specified a 160*. There could be a
number of things causing the overheating.
* check the fuses
* check the fans, that they are operating properly
* be sure you are using a 50/50 coolant mixture.
* bleed the system of air
* check for collapsed hoses
* pressure test the system and look for pinhole leaks.

if all of these checks are good, then:
* remove the thermostat, put a pot of water on the stove - enough water to
cover the thermostat completely - as the water temp rises, watch the
thermostat to see when the valve opens and check the temp - it should be
the same as its rating.
* remove the water pump's inspection cover - can you spin the impeller by hand?
* check for a clogged radiator.
Old 05-09-2008 | 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
I had that problem when I replaced the thermostat and it was because I had all kinds of air bubbles in the coolant. I drained it all then refilled it and was good to go.
You dont drain the cooling system to purge it of air bubbles - that is what
the bleeder valves are for.
Old 05-09-2008 | 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

it can be a little tough to get all the air out of the system and if there in there it can cause it to run hot There is a little screws u see in the lines what i did was loosen it untill i had a steady stream of water coming out it worked
Old 05-09-2008 | 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your radiator can pressure check fine and still be plugged internally. Pull the cooling fans off after it's completely warmed up and feel the radiator, you will feel cool spots and warm spots if it's partially plugged. When mine went bad only about half of the radiator was flowing.
Old 05-09-2008 | 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the responses guys. the heater hoses are all new so i doubt one is leaking, and it is a 180* thermo the guy put in, had a 160* before that, and i am taking it to the shop at about 2:30 and they are gunna run some tests. and thanks for all the info this should be enough to get me back up and running. ill let you guys know thanks a ton!
Old 05-09-2008 | 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by caldercay
You dont drain the cooling system to purge it of air bubbles - that is what
the bleeder valves are for.
That is what I meant to say just worded it badly I BLED it out of the system using that valve down by the air dam.

Quick Reply: over heating, thermostat's go bad this easy?