LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Looking a buying an LT1, advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoy my LT1, it's under the knife for the opti, but once you understand the internals, it's a great motor. I have 76,xxx on mine, and haven't had any failure besides that damn opti....

But if thats the only thing I've had to fix, it's worth it.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
nothing lasts forever, especially opti's. mine's in the shop right now for an opti. replace it and move on. a good looking lt1 on the road being driven is becoming more and more rare. they're about like seeing a new z06 now. its getting hard to find them around here because we have a lots of idiots buying them up and putting 10" x 10" wheels, hot wheels stickers and cherry bombs on them and then finishing them up with an airbrush painting of the virgin mary on the hood if you know what i mean.
lmao, yea...thats why im keeping mine nice
Old 05-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Banned

Off the subject but saturday at this car show this older guy had a 93 LT1 with 2,864 orig miles, full bolt on, Bear brakes, full BMR suspenion and a Vortex supercharger..for sale @ 16k...damn someone is gonna be a happy **** if they buy that car. It was in PERFECT condition again with under 3k miles...damn I wanted it. He had the dyno slip and it made 405rwh!!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
See I KNOW that the LT1 is an "inferior" motor. I already have an LS1, Love the thing to death! Plan on having this car for a while! My current little obsession with the LT1 is based on the fact that it IS an older motor, there is something that draws me the archaic. Its more of a classical small block than the LS motors, and yes the cars look sharp!
I hear ya, and I know exactly what you are saying. But if I was you I would be building up that LS1 that you have, that's just my opinion. The LT1 is not as close to a classic sbc engine as you may think, imo the TPI engine is more closer to a old school classic sbc than a LT1 is. But, whatever you decide to do good luck and have fun doing it.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1-DAN
I hear ya, and I know exactly what you are saying. But if I was you I would be building up that LS1 that you have, that's just my opinion. The LT1 is not as close to a classic sbc engine as you may think, imo the TPI engine is more closer to a old school classic sbc than a LT1 is. But, whatever you decide to do good luck and have fun doing it.
Oh I will! My intent is to use the LS as my daily and the LT as a project, or my wifes car. Id be happy either way! Thanks for the responses fellas!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Hey i just bought an 94z28 with 165,000 mile. It is a very clean car especialy for the money.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

I bought my Formula with 69k miles on it. 69k miles of neglect. The car was not ran hard at all. It was my neighbors car. When it went up for sale I snatched it right up. Soon after I bought it I was quickly reminded how important preventative maintenance really is!

The car had just went to crap after a month of ownership. It comes to find out. Nothing had ever been replaced. The only repairs made to the car were oil changes and brakes. That's it! I had to catch up on 10 years of neglect. I'm super meticulous when it comes to maintenance. Now the car doesn't have a bug. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country and back. Just be careful on what you buy. Check everything possible before the purchase. The LT1 is a great engine. You'll have a blast.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
nothing lasts forever, especially opti's. mine's in the shop right now for an opti. replace it and move on. a good looking lt1 on the road being driven is becoming more and more rare. they're about like seeing a new z06 now. its getting hard to find them around here because we have a lots of idiots buying them up and putting 10" x 10" wheels, hot wheels stickers and cherry bombs on them and then finishing them up with an airbrush painting of the virgin mary on the hood if you know what i mean.
Couldn't agree more on both the opti and how rare it's getting to see a mint, well cared for, tasteful LT1. They really are good looking cars and I get compliments on mine all the time. I even thought about going back to the stock square pipes instead of my aftermarket duals and I'm debating going to aftermarket/Corvette wheels over the stock 16" chromes. Sorry to keep whoring pics, but you've got to admit this is a good-looking car, pretty much stock:

Since I got the lousy eBay "All Ignition" opti replaced, the car has run pretty decent, including a "quick" sub-two hour trip to Detroit from Grand Rapids. But I have to agree that the motor is sorta "archaic" since even my former 97 V6 Camaro had a "non-distributor" ignition system. But whatever...when I pick my daughter up from school, she gets the "thumbs up" instead of the soccer mom minivans, a few up which could give my car a run for the money.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Just depends on what you like. I have a 95 T/A that I picked up with 104,XXX miles a year ago for $3,400. Had a few scratches and drivers seat wear as can be expected. Then I bought a 99 T/A with 88,XXX for $7,800 that was in great shape owned by a elderly couple. Just bought a 94 Formula two months ago that the tranny is bad and the motor has been dogged to hell and needs to be gone through but it does run and the paint is faded. I think I got a pretty good deal on it seeing I only gave $800 for it. I love my LS1 but my LT1 is a hell of a torque monster in the low end which I love. LT1's have a big deal with the Opti but you don't know how pissed I was when I collapsed a lifter in my LS1 and had to pull the heads off just to change a damn lifter. I love both motors equally as they each have their own faults but splay a two bolt LT1 block, main girdle it, and put a lifter valley girdle in and have fun trying to hurt it.