LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

If you were a thief...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:20 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Default If you were a thief...

If you were a thief and you wanted to steal an LT1 F body, how would you do it?

The purpose of the question is to gain knowledge on how to make the cars more theft-resistant. I知 sure we would all feel a little more secure with some better protection.

I知 wondering about steering column collars, fuel/ignition/PCM cut off switches, how to prevent VATS by-passing, etc.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get lojack. if they want your car bad enough they'll get it regardless. at least lojack will let you know where it is. they have a 90% recovery rate. hopefully they get to it before it's been stripped or put in a container to ship overseas.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a better question would be how many stolen Lt1's do you here of?
I live in one of the worst area's for stolen vehicles and am not aware of any Lt1's being stolen.Now third gen's are a different story my 88 got jacked and I caught 2 kids debating on stealing my 91 Z.Someone tried to get my 94 T/A but, no luck all they did was **** the stearing column up.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
If you were a thief and you wanted to steal an LT1 F body, how would you do it?

The purpose of the question is to gain knowledge on how to make the cars more theft-resistant. I知 sure we would all feel a little more secure with some better protection.

I知 wondering about steering column collars, fuel/ignition/PCM cut off switches, how to prevent VATS by-passing, etc.
Perhaps the only safe way is to hide the vehicle. Most repo pots are done with a key. A vin # in the wrong hands will get you a key. A key will allow you to drive the car off. Tow truck and a tiltback also work.

Jakes Dad
Old 05-12-2008, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Think the best deterrent would be mandatory execution for three strikes offenders. Auto theft gets a slap on the wrist for the first couple offenses in most areas.

Maybe if we began eradicating this vermin we could crush the subculture that glorifies theft, drugs and violence. Solve the problem rather than treat the symptom.

That said I know guys that put the fuel pumps on hidden manual switches and other unique custom stuff like that. Best defense is going to be creativity on your part, anything public and popular a defeat will be devised for.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Im glad to say i dont know how to steal these cars I spent the early 91 and 92 locked up "were i should have been" for taking third gen. cars Im just glad gm made it harder to take. I could have a 3rd gen car started in less than 5 sec. I keep my 94Z locked in the garage with everything disconnected, i know not everyone has this option. Here's what i do know stering colum locks are easy to crack open the club is worthless it can be cut thru in 2 seconds . Alarms have gotten alot better the problem is most people put the siren in a place thats easy to get to and cut the wires giving a theif more time to get it started. Just have to do your homework on alarms and make sure they are installed properly. I have one with a keychain so it rings on my keys as well
Old 05-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Banned

they are actually pretty hard to steal as in hotwire and drive off...although a wrecker could come pick that bitch up and take it easily....

tell more about lojack...im always thinking some1 goana come get my car with a wrecker and take it...luckily i can box it in every night with 2 trucks
Old 05-12-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

im always paranoyed about my **** getting stolen...i wanted to learn how to put those hidden switches in the car so it couldnt be driven away....i know the battery disconnect is prob the easiest to do...
Old 05-12-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard the ravleco is good. Google it. Lojack will not do jack if they go into mexico with your car.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

pass it up and look for an LS1 duhhhh
Old 05-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Banned

Never hear of any that have been stolen in my area..If I was to steel a car it wouldn't be one that gets attention like the LT..
Old 05-12-2008, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

OK First the outside siren is pretty much ignored now... to many people let theres just go off. (And they can be easy to cut).

Step 1) In door alarm of high Dec to keep people out or make them def. This will get your stupid Theifs.

Step 2) Kill Switch to the Ignition after the VATS or Fuel you choose. My friend makes a setup thats a kill switch made of things you would not even think of and you would never see. He has asked me not to mention it but PM Runamuck, you will laugh and say "Thats amazing" when he tells you what he can do for you.

Step 3) This is the easiest. Yes LoJack Works. No those Alarm Pagers are not really going to help you to much. The alarms that do work are the ones with C3. These actually watch your car and report to your cell phone. This is the only true way to actually get any real distance (To say go into a Mall or for those without a walmart I guess) and know whats going on with your car. Not to mention track it every step of the way.

As stated the Club is worthless, LoJack is nice but personally I like things coming to my cell phone not going else where. Being as close to Mexico as I am we see cars taken all the time. And of the Camaros/Firebirds to steal 93-97 are easier (I believe it was 98 where the vats actually became vehicle spec and not just a range of the same signal). But frankly these guys will take anything and the tow truck thing is something people do not question. They see a vehicle being taken they assume repo or broken not theft.

Last edited by Cross; 05-12-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Can't keep it from getting towed, but installing a fuel pump switch is probably the easiest way to do it. Most are automatic these days with the key. Just put a toggle somewhere that's out of site and out of the way. Most people don't think about it when stealing a car. Could do the same for an ignition switch. Just have two toggles under the dash, behind the glove box, or somewhere else that have to be switched on for the car to run.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Veteran

i can fit my arms in between the roof seal and the window

i had to do it once when vacuuming the car.

comes in handy too for plug changes.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

LoJack works.... IF you can find a police department that has the very expensive receiver (many do not) and IF that police dept is close enough... cost/benefit is not there
Old 05-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Launching!

as long as the punishment doesn't fit the crime,they will get it ,if they want it. also lately there have been many reports of muscle cars,classic cars being stolen while at major events,cruises etc. if you go to one,go with a club,have sucure accommadation,and stay by your car. all these jerks are going to do is rip all your hard work apart,and sell the parts for drug money. yes it sucks!
Old 05-12-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a Boot and keep it on when ever you park lol But still a tow truck COULD get around that with a good winch. For older cars, cut off switches are really nice. A fair idea would be to get an old foot actuated HiBeam switch mounted on the floor, it might be less conspicuous. For extra security, you could always have a backup switch for the starter or fuel pump (which wouldn't help much if it's mechanical).

Pretty much, as said, 4th Gens are fairly secure.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

the fuel switch again is a great idea. my father did this after intalling a electric fuel pump on his chevelle. a few months later some jerk got in and stole it but he only made it about half a block before the carb ran out of fuel. and if coarse worse case get comprihensive insurance.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:00 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97LT1
I have heard the ravleco is good. Google it. Lojack will not do jack if they go into mexico with your car.
GMHTP did a write up on that a while ago.

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
i can fit my arms in between the roof seal and the window
Skinny arms for the win. I can do that too and it's amazingly benefitial when working on these cars.

Originally Posted by Formula350
Buy a Boot and keep it on when ever you park lol But still a tow truck COULD get around that with a good winch. For older cars, cut off switches are really nice. A fair idea would be to get an old foot actuated HiBeam switch mounted on the floor, it might be less conspicuous. For extra security, you could always have a backup switch for the starter or fuel pump (which wouldn't help much if it's mechanical).

Pretty much, as said, 4th Gens are fairly secure.
The boot really is a joke. All you have to do is jack the car up about a foot and a half and slide the thing off. It takes about 2 minutes at the most.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When they tried to Jack my 3rd gen a simple ignition kill kept it in place. No Sirene to warn them and they had no idea what the blinking light was that did not set off a sirene

They DID do $2,000 damage to the steering column and consoul but I was driving it again fully rebuilt by the Insurance Co. is four days

They stole four that night in my home town. Mine was not one of them they found burned in the valley to hide there left overs!

When it comes to a 4th gen if they really want it they will just tow it off.

Quick Reply: If you were a thief...